Women’s Tennis Splits Weekend Games

January 31, 2018

The University of Toledo women’s tennis team fell 5-2 to Duquesne University and edged out Cleveland State University 4-3 this past weekend in Cleveland. The Rockets now sit at 2-2 overall to begin the season. 

On Friday, UT collected two victories over the Dukes from the No. 2 doubles team, third-year Thalita Rodrigues and second-year Mimi Kendall-Woseley, and the No. 3 doubles team, second-year DeeDee Leenabanchong and fourth-year Colleen O’Brien. The first doubles match was tied at five and was suspended.

Kokoro Chishaki, a third-year, claimed the only singles point, winning 6-3, 7-6 (3), at No. 5 singles.

"I'm really happy with how we started this match," said head coach Tracy Mauntler in a UTRockets interview. "Our doubles play was impressive, and we continue to get a little bit better each time we go out to compete…We need to get better at the pressure points, and we will with more match experience."

On Sunday, Chishaki and fourth-year Sidnay Huck won their singles matchups over CSU. Chishaki won 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1 singles and Huck won No. 5 singles, 6-4 and 6-1. They later teamed up during the No. 1 doubles to contribute to the 4-3 victory over the Vikings.

Woseley fought hard to claim victory at No. 2 singles with two scores of 7-5.

Leenabanchong and O’Brien teamed up again for the No. 3 doubles and squeezed past with a 7-6 (4) victory.

"It was a gritty win today from start to finish," Mauntler said in a UTRockets interview. "Playing back-to-back on the road less than 24 hours apart is mentally as well as physically tough. I'm happy at the way the team handled it. Sid and Koko played flawless doubles as they set the tone for us early. I've been very impressed at Koko's performance early on this season. She has transitioned very well and is a solid force in the lineup."  

The midnight blue and gold will have two home matches over the next two weeks held at Shadow Valley Tennis Club in Maumee. The Youngstown State Penguins come to town Friday, Feb. 2 and the Oakland Golden Grizzlies on Saturday, Feb. 10. Both home matches begin at 1 p.m.