Faculty break room closed after break-in

The University of Toledo Police Department arrested a man Jan. 5 after police discovered him sleeping overnight in a University Hall break room.

UTPD charged Luther Reasonover with criminal trespassing for living in the 2290 faculty and staff break room in University Hall. Police found him with several bags containing his belongs.

Reasonover denied sleeping or staying in the room, claiming he was there to meet UT President Sharon Gaber.

UT police also arrested him twice in July of 2017 for sleeping in University Hall. Officers told Reasonover to stay off UT property without first obtaining authorization, according to the report.

The report also states that additional checks of the area were needed.

UT employee, who wished to remain anonymous, said the break room was closed Jan. 29 for an undetermined length of time.

According to a UT spokesperson, the university closed the room for cleaning, accessibility improvements and to address safety concerns as part of the reorganization of office space.

The future use of the space has not been determined.

However, a note taped to the break room door from Vice President of Finance and Administration Larry Kelley was the only information provided to UT employees about the impending closure, the employee said.

“It said something to the effect of, ‘As of Jan. 29, this is no longer a break room. The new break room is located across from the vending machines,’” the employee said. 

The note has since been removed.

We reached out to Kelley, but he was not available for comment at press time.

The new break room consists of two tables and eight chairs. It is located by the vending machines near the entrance to Gillham Hall on the second floor of University Hall.

“This not a faculty and staff break room,” the employee said. “Usually, we see students in here instead.”

With UT employees kept in the dark, no one knows when the break room will open, and the only information they have is speculative rumors.

“A question many people had was, ‘Why can’t a swipe access lock be installed for faculty and staff [instead of closing the room]?’” the employee said. “Or why a night custodian could not just lock it at night and a morning custodian unlock it.”

Zelijko Cuckovic, a professor in the department of mathematics, said he didn’t know the room was closed.

“I never really used it, but I think it’s not a good decision to close it,” he said.