Rockets lose to Illinois State and Purdue

February 6, 2018

It has not been green grass or high tides for the University of Toledo’s men’s tennis team this season. The team has managed one win in six tries, resulting in a record of 1-5.

Illinois State topped the Rockets 6-1 in the singles match, with the doubles match also in favor of Illinois State with a score of 2-1. Second-year Danilo Vukotic won the Rockets’ only match as he dominated in his sets, winning 6-0 and 6-1. The score overall was a bit misleading as multiple Rockets won sets but were not able to put it all together.

“We responded for singles but just ran out of time today,” said head coach Al Wermer after the contest.

Next up for the Rockets was a road contest in West Lafayette, Indiana, against a stout Purdue team. The Rockets did not respond well to their competition, losing the match 7-0 in singles and 3-0 in doubles. Third-year Reid Teatsorth was the only one to win a set. The afternoon yielded mediocre results for the midnight blue and gold to add to what has been an uninspiring season thus far.

“This was a frustrating match because we had many chances to turn the singles in our favor and navigate a long and spellbinding comeback that would have shocked Purdue,” Wermer said.

The Rockets will hit the road again for the next two matches as they travel to Wisconsin to face off against Marquette Feb. 17 and UW-Green Bay Feb 18.