Women’s Track & Field successful in Notre Dame

February 6, 2018

The University of Toledo’s women’s track and field team had a successful weekend at the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame. 

Third-year thrower Katie Dewey broke Toledo’s indoor shot put record (48-9.50) with a throw of (50-0.5). Five of Dewey’s six throws in the shot put helped her surpass the school record. Adding to Dewey’s successful weekend, her weight throw (54-4.75) has qualified her for the MAC Indoor Championships.

The Rocket distance runners contributed to the weekend’s success. Fourth-year Janelle Noe earned a personal best in the 3,000-meter run (9:36.84), and second-year Athena Welsh won the 5,000-meter run (16:35.28) in her first time running the event indoors. Both Noe and Welsh have qualified for the MAC Championships.

Fourth-year runner Petronela Simiuc earned a new personal best and qualified for the MAC Championships by winning the 800-meter run (2:11.12).

Two other Rocket runners earned personal bests. Third-year Nautica Hill won her 400-meter dash section (57.32), and Shanice Williams won the 60-meter dash (7.66).

Olivia Chinn, third-year runner, was .09 shy of her personal best (4:58.74) in the mile run but earned a victory in her section. Yana Khabina, third-year runner, won her section of the 400-meter dash (57.78).

"We had another strong weekend, and I'm pretty happy with how the team is looking right now," said head coach Linh Nguyen in a UTRockets interview. "Overall, it was another step forward. We had a lot of high-quality performances.”

The midnight blue and gold continue the season as they travel east along Lake Erie to take part in the SPIRE Division I Invitational this weekend in Geneva, Ohio.