Cadets fit their 'cap and gown'

As a senior in college, it seems that the last year flies by and before they know it, graduation is just around the corner. Some are well-prepared for this transition but, for others, it is an awakening that soon they will be entering the “real world.” They must now establish themselves outside of an academic environment. 

A majority of seniors will be looking for jobs and therefore need the appropriate clothing for the occasion. Not to mention numerous edits will be made updating cover letters and resumes. Some will go as far as to practice and rehearse questions in front of the mirror, envisioning they are in front of an employer. However, a small percentage of seniors will not have this experience as they are entering the United States Army.

The University of Toledo hosted four other schools Feb. 9, in an on-site dress uniform fitting for the Army Service Uniform. Marlow White, a premium tailor company and distributor for all military service uniforms based out of Ft. Leavenworth, KS, was present at the event to fit students.

Seventy cadets stormed the halls of the Health Education Center from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., anxiously waiting to be measured and fitted for a uniform. Each cadet will wear this uniform at their Commissioning Ceremony, the weekend of graduation. There, they will raise their right hand and recite the Oath of the Commission Officer; promising to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

“… entering the infantry world, not only do I want to lead the way with my Soldiers but I am fortunate to be leading the way by having the opportunity to purchase a superior Marlow White uniform on campus,” said Phillip Wood, a cadet and fourth-year student at UT. “As a Commissioned Officer, I am a professional and I lead by example and this what Marlow White strives to achieve.” 

Bowling Green State University, University of Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan University and University of Michigan supported this fitting by sending their Cadets to attain these superior uniforms.

“It is great that the University of Toledo is reaching out to other schools in order to appropriately set them up for success in this new career change that they will be entering,” said Capt. Stanley Thompson, an assistant professor of military science at Eastern Michigan University. 

As appointments ended, a sense of accomplishment filled the air. Whether a cadet is obtaining a bachelor’s or master’s degree, they have invested two, three, or four years representing their university

as an ROTC Cadet during their rigorous academic plan of study. This is, for some, one more checked box to serving their country officially as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army.