Meet the success coach

February 14, 2018

The Center for Success Coaching helps University of Toledo students all over

campus with academic and personal issues during their college careers.

Shawna.Babula joined UT as a success coach in August 2013, and specifically works with students in the College of Arts and Letters. Since then, she said the the program has evolved and solidified into such a powerful model to impact student success.

1. Why did you get into success coaching?

I was actually a high school teacher for years and was involved in a program that helped first-generation students be college-ready. Over the years I followed my former high school students in their college journeys. I was devastated to hear many of them didn’t make it. I had worked with them all four years of high school to be prepared! Unfortunately, the financial, personal, and academic realities of college were just paralyzing. It made me realize we have so many programs to help high school students understand the power of a college degree and aspire toward that… But few programs at the college level! I immediately jumped on board when I learned UT would be starting a success coach program. It’s a chance to help students once they get here to finish the dream.

2. What is your favorite thing about UT? 

The falcons in the bell tower! Those chicks every spring are noisy and adorable!

3. What TV channel doesn’t exist but really should? Well, I don’t have cable for a reason!

I know those DIY home channels would just do me in. I love all of them and don’t need MORE!

4. What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?

Travel abroad. It widens your perspective and awakens your soul.

5. A new semester means new groups to join. How should students decide where they fit best? 

Actually, there’ a great workshop coming up Feb. 14 from 5:30-6:30 in Student Union 2582 and Feb. 15 5:30-6:30 in Carter Hall* to explore just that! Talk to your coach more about the “Find your Fit” workshop and RSVP! Call us at 419.530.1250 to learn more.

6. Where is the best place to relax on campus? 

So, there’s this popcorn machine the success coaches have… Shhh! Best secret on campus! I love to kick back and relax with a big bowl of popcorn.

7. Six more weeks of winter! What's your favorite thing to do in Toledo during the winter?

I am a California girl, so I shiver all winter long! It’s rough for me. I always have a big fire going at home and love to sit by that.

8. What is your favorite piece of advice for graduating seniors? 

Don’t be afraid of asking questions about financial topics. It’s about to get real, seniors! Back in the day when I graduated, I was so intimidated and didn’t understand a lot about money or “adulting.” So, I winged it and learned the hard way. The good news is that now, coaches have been assembling resources to help. Honestly, it’s not as scary once you dive in and research more.