Rockets go 0-2 against Miami and CMU

February 14, 2018

Last week, the Toledo women’s basketball team lost to Miami University by a score 67-58 and to Central Michigan University by a score of 87-47 on Wednesday and Saturday, respectively. The defeats drop the Rockets’ record to 15-10 overall and 6-7 in Mid-American Conference play.

Third-year Mikaela Boyd led the Rocket offense with 18 points, six rebounds, five assists and four steals, scoring in double digits and continuing her nine-game streak.

UT also received double-doubles from third-year Kaayla McIntyre (12 pts., 10 reb.) and second-year Mariella Santucci (11 pts., career-high 10 reb.), along with seven points from first-year Tanaya Beacham coming off the bench. 

As a team, Toledo shot 43.9 percent (25-of-57) from the floor, including 0-of-8 from beyond the arc, and 47.1 percent (8-of-17) from the free throw line. 

The Redhawks jumped out to an early 13-10 lead after the first quarter. 

UT fought back and tied the score at 18-18 off of three layups from McIntyre at the 6:54 mark in the second quarter, but Miami answered by scoring 13 points to give the Redhawks a 33-24 lead at the half.

The Rockets surged coming out of the locker room, going on a 12-4 burst to cut the margin to one point at 37-36 with 5:08 left in the third quarter. Boyd ignited the run with seven points, converting three baskets from close range, including an and-one.

Miami stopped UT's run with another three-point shot, but the Rockets countered by scoring the next five points to retake the lead, 41-40, at the 3:36 mark. McIntyre was credited with three of the five points, while Boyd tallied the other two.

The teams went back and forth over the next couple of minutes, before Toledo put together a 9-2 run to assume a 50-44 advantage with 7:04 left in the game. Santucci was responsible for five of the points to help the Rockets.

The lead did not last long as Miami rattled off eight straight points to get the lead back, 52-50, at the 4:01 mark. Four Redhawks tallied points in the eight-point run.

The squads once again traded blows on the scoreboard over the ensuing two-plus minutes, setting the stage for Miami's game-sealing run. The remainder of the Redhawks' points were scored at the free throw line.

Against CMU, fourth-year Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott led Toledo with 14 points, followed closely by Beacham and McIntyre with 12 points each.

The Rockets connected on only 29.6 percent of their shots (21-of-71) from the floor, including 16.7 percent (4-of-24) from three-point range, and 50 percent (1-of-2) from the free throw line.

The Chippewas were on fire early, shooting 60 percent from the field in the first quarter to race out to a 24-8 lead. 

The Rockets were paced by eight points by Beacham in the second quarter to make the deficit 45-20 at the half. She knocked down four of five shots from the floor and recorded a blocked shot.

UT was closer to CMU in the third quarter, 20-19. The Rockets were led by six points each from Boyd and McIntyre to put the score at 65-39 heading into the final quarter.

CMU scored seven straight points early on in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach.  

The Rockets will return to the hardwood next Saturday, Feb. 17, when they host Western Michigan for the Rocket for a Cure game. Game time versus the Broncos is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in Savage Arena and will be streamed live on ESPN3.