Women’s tennis dominates Oakland

February 14, 2018

It was a total team effort for the Rockets on Saturday as they defeated a tough Oakland team 6-1. The doubles team also performed well, sweeping the Golden Grizzlies 3-0. 

The women’s team performed well to start the season, jumping out to a 4-2 start. Four Rockets won their matches in straight sets, while second-year Dee Dee Leenabanchong won her match in three sets. For the Rockets, it was yet another complete match in a season full of them. 

Fourth-year Colleen O’Brien led by example Saturday, winning her singles match in straight sets and teaming with Leenabanchong to win their doubles match as well. 
Third-year Rockets Claire Aleck and Kokoro Chishaki, along with second-year Mimi Kendall-Woseley, were the other singles victors for the Rockets, further extenuating the Rockets blend of youth and experience. 

“It was a really solid effort against a tough Oakland team,” head coach Tracy Mauntler said. “We had some really good opportunities to play under pressure today, which was a great experience for us.” 

The Rockets will pick up play again this Friday and Saturday in Cincinnati, Ohio against the University of Cincinnati and Wright State.