Meet the Success Coach : Q&A with Angela Duran

February 21, 2018

The Center for Success Coaching helps University of Toledo students all over campus with academic and personal issues during their college careers. 

Angela Duran joined UT as a success coach in 2013 and specifically works with Adult/Non-Traditional students. 

Why did you get into success coaching? 
I started off with a work-study position on campus in CISP and then had a graduate assistantship in the same office. I love being a Rocket!  I was an adult student coming back to school and knew I could relate to the adult/non-traditional student. I enjoy helping others and find it very rewarding. I love coaching.

What is your favorite thing about UT?

The collaboration across campus to make UT awesome!

If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you have a good chance at winning a medal for?
I love dancing! If it has a beat, I will dance to anything.

What are some small things that make your day better?
A smile from my daughter every morning, heated seats and car starter, coffee, students’ success stories, my coworkers, free samples from Jimmy Johns…. I mean it really is the little things!

A new semester means new groups to join. How should students decide where they fit best?
I always tell students to do informational interviews with anyone they are interested in. That is the best way to find out more about the group and see if that’s the best fit for them.

How can students tell if joining a Greek group is the right thing for them? (And how can they decide which one is the right one?)   
I would say if a student wanted to go Greek, check out their tables at all events on campus, email them, find out what it is you are looking for in a sorority or fraternity. It is a great way to build friendships, become more involved on campus, engage in leadership opportunities and hold yourself academically accountable.  The student needs to decide if they can afford it, manage time commitments and maintain their grades while going Greek. It’s finding a balance with your personal life and Greek life. Do some research and write down pros and cons. Greek life isn’t for everyone.

Six more weeks of winter! What’s your favorite thing to do in Toledo during the winter? 
Attending my nephew’s hockey and basketball games, spending time with my family playing games, going out for dinner and having movie marathons with my daughter at home on the couch. I pretty much hibernate in the winter.

How should students handle classes and professors if they catch the flu?
It is very important to keep your professors in the know of what is going on with you. Communication is so important. The professor doesn’t know what he/she doesn’t know.  Everyone assumes no news is good news, and a lot of the time that is not the case with students.