Rockets go 0-2 against Green Bay and Marquette

February 21, 2018

The Rocket men’s tennis team suffered two tough losses to Marquette University and University of Wisconsin, Green Bay Saturday and Sunday, respectively. 
Marquette knocked off the Rockets with a match score of 6-1. Second-year Thawin Suksathaporn was the only Rocket to win his match, sweeping his sets 7-5 and 6-0. Marquette swept doubles as well, 3-0. 
The Rockets have seen a tumultuous start to the season thus far, head coach Al Wermer said. 
“Every day is a chance for renewal, as is every point and every game,” he said. 
The Rockets got their chance to redeem themselves after their tough loss to Marquette in their match against UW Green Bay the next day. 
This seemed to be the spark the Rockets needed to turn their season around, but Green Bay proved too much. Green Bay won the match 4-3 and the doubles play 2-1, as both sets of games proved to be stout competition from both sides. 
The Rockets fell into a 2-0 hole in singles, but rallied to win three straight on the heels of Suksathaporn and third-years Luka Vitosevic and Reid Teatsorth. However, the turning point of the match came during the exchange between second-year Ivan Radomirovic of Green Bay and first-year Nikola Arsic of Toledo. 
The match had three exhilarating sets, in which Radomirovic’s win ultimately set up Green Bay’s exciting 4-3 victory over the Rockets. 
Coach Wermer said afterward, “It sounds crazy but we’re so proud of the effort and perseverance these guys are showing.” 
The Rockets now fall to 1-7 on the season. MAC play has yet to start, so the Rockets still have an opportunity to salvage the season.
Ball State leads the MAC so far, with a record of 7-1. Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are close behind them, both with a record of 8-2. Toledo will need to improve in the MAC play to have a chance in the tournament. 
The Rockets will host Wayne State at the Shadow Valley Tennis Club in Toledo Friday, Feb. 23.