Change is scary

February 27, 2018

Change is all around us. From technological advancements to pop culture, change is an inevitable part of our lives. 
Some adjustments are easy, such as wearing choker necklaces and high-waisted jeans. Others, like the transition to the perceived vulgar rock and roll music of Elvis Presley, took years to appreciate. 
Parents of the time strongly disapproved of his music, claiming his lyrics were inappropriate and his dance moves were animalistic. They were not accustomed to his music style and felt animosity towards it. 
Though the world is constantly evolving, individuals are still cautious when it comes to change.
I’ve never been a big proponent of change – then again, I feel like most people aren’t, at least initially. Change represents a loss of control over something familiar, which is oftentimes accompanied by anger and frustration. 
The medical field is constantly creating new methods and as an aspiring physician, I was very wary of this. 
I currently work as a pharmacy technician, and a software update in the computer system or new rules put into place that change the pharmacy environment always made me feel uncomfortable. 
I think that one of the main reasons for my discomfort is the forced reversion to an earlier state from when I first started working. I’ve been working at the pharmacy for a couple years now, and going through the plays at work is second nature to me now. 
Any tremor in this play disrupts the flow of how I get from point A to point B efficiently. Making mistakes and forgetting to complete a step that did not previously exist can cause someone to become confused or even concerned about their competence.
Again, change is inevitable. No matter how much someone may hate change, it will occur. It’s one of life's guarantees. 
Figuring out how to cope with this change becomes the real challenge for most people. 
I’ll admit, change was never my cup of tea. However, through working at the pharmacy I have learned to take every change that comes my way with a twist. 
Instead of thinking about it as different, I think of it as a challenge because what’s the fun of doing your job without having any unpredictability? 
Sure, I might be proficient at completing a task one way. But with a new change instilled, I can challenge myself to excel in another way, forming strong new neural connections and increasing my brain’s plasticity. 
I know that possessing this sort of mindset will do wonders when I become a physician. The field of medicine is one of the most rapidly changing areas, and through looking at change in a more positive light, I’ll successfully be able to thrive in the ever-changing arena of medicine.

Samar Ayoub is a third-year biology major.