ProMedica, UT to open neurosciences center

February 28, 2018

The Neurosciences Center that UT and ProMedica collaborated on will be completed this April.

Construction on the center began in November 2016 to advance neuroscience education in Northwest Ohio.

Leading the center is Dr. Gretchen Tietjen, chairman of the neurology department and UT professor, and Darrin Arquette, senior vice president for Neurosciences, Heart and Orthopedics Institutes for ProMedica.

ProMedica looked at its neurology department to solve perceived problems, Arquette said.

There were service gaps for patients who required specialized physicians who were only available outside of Toledo, Tietjen said.

Neurology was among the most needed services.

“ProMedica wanted to create a space for physicians and patients to receive quality care so patients did not have to wait four to six months at a time to have their needs met,” Arquette said.

Arquette and Tietjen are recruiting people to work in the center from their respective places.

For UT this center is a space for residents, fellows and researchers to learn and experiment, Tietjen said.

Arquette estimated that 50,000 patients will be seen in the center from 33 counties in Northwest Ohio and Southeastern Michigan.

ProMedica and UT met regularly with the architect to optimize the building and check that everything is up to their standards such as what the clinic will look like, and how the exam rooms will look and how the offices are designed, Tietjen said.

The out-patient center is on the first floor and the testing lab is on the second floor, Tietjen said. The third floor will be offices for ProMedica.

A research lab, imaging services, a rehabilitation center and neuro-diagnostics will be included as well.

It may look like a merge, but it is not. UT employees will still be paid by UT and ProMedica staff will still be paid by ProMedica, Tietjen said.

It is an academic affiliation between the College of Medicine and not UTMC.

“Both [parties will] benefit, as UT can learn from their patients and ProMedica can have their physicians and their research,” Arquette said.