UT Baseball struggles in Clarksville

February 27, 2018

The Rocket baseball team took on the Austin Peay State University Governors this past weekend in Clarksville, Tenn. UT fell 16-4 and 12-2 on Friday and 8-7 on Sunday. The Rockets now stand at 2-5 on the season. 

Friday – Game 1

UT jumped on the board with a run in the second. Brad Boss, fourth-year fielder, received base on balls before Zach Schwartzenberger, a first-year outfielder, bunted for a single. Boss scored on the single from second-year catcher Michael Ryan, making the score 1-0.

Austin Peay State matched the run the same inning, 1-1, from a wild pitch.

Ross Adolph, third-year outfielder, hit a solo home run to right field in the third to regain the Toledo lead, 2-1.

The Governors responded in the same inning with four runs and another four in the fifth inning to stretch their lead, 9-2.

Toledo brought a run in the sixth and seventh inning. The runs came by solo home runs for Ryan and Matt Hansen, fourth-year infielder. The Rockets scored four total runs on eight hits in game one of a doubleheader. 

These late runs were unable to stop the red-hot Governors from scoring seven additional runs between the sixth through eighth innings. Austin Peay State won with 16 runs on 14 hits.

Friday – Game 2

Saturday’s game was moved to Friday due to unfortunate weather.

The Governors picked up right where they left off in the game prior, scoring 11 runs between the second and fifth innings.

UT jumped on the board with a run in the fifth and sixth inning. These runs came by home runs from Boss and Hansen. Toledo trailed 11-2 on six hits and two errors.   

Austin Peay State tacked on another run in the eighth to gain a ten-run lead, 12-2, over the Rockets on twelve hits and an error. 

Sunday

The Governors jumped on the board with a pair of runs to start the game, 2-0.

Toledo responded the following inning with a run, cutting Austin Peay State’s lead in half, 2-1. Boss hit his second home run of the weekend.

The Rockets took the lead in the fourth with four runs, 5-2, on five hits. Adolph singled and AJ Montoya, fourth-year outfielder/catcher, doubled. Boss, Ryan, Trace Hatfield, first-year infielder and John Servello, outfielder/right-handed pitcher, all singled in runs.  

The Governors matched the four runs later in the inning, 6-5.

UT tied the game in the sixth, 6-6. Hatfield doubled and scored on Ryan’s RBI single.

Austin Peay State would retake the lead, 7-6, later in the inning. 

After scoreless seventh and eighth innings, the Rockets tied the game again, 7-7, in the ninth. Servello hit a solo home run over the left field wall, taking the game into extra innings.

Austin Peay State kept the Rockets from scoring in the tenth and won in walk-off fashion, 8-7, with a single to left field.

Both teams collected 11 hits and an error.

The midnight blue and gold will travel to Louisiana for four games in five days. The LSU Baseball Invitational takes place in Baton Rouge from Friday, March 2 through Sunday, March 4. Matchups are against LSU on Friday at 7 p.m., SE Louisiana on Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sacred Heart on Sunday at 11 a.m. The final game will be against SE Louisiana in Hammond on Tuesday, March 6 at 6 p.m.