UT addresses false statistic

After an anonymous source reported to the Independent Collegian that 10 percent of UT students attempted suicide in the last 12 months, Flapp Cockrell, vice president of student affairs, said that the statistic is false.

Out of the participants that replied to a National College Health Assessment in 2017, 10.3 percent considered suicide and 1.5 percent attempted suicide, Cockrell said.

The University of Toledo is proactive in training faculty and staff in crisis management and how to spot students who might be dealing with crises, he said.

Seven counselors are available at the UT counseling center who provide free and confidential services to students.

The center provides screenings; individual, couple, and group counseling and psychotherapy; psychoeducational workshops; consultation with students, parents, faculty and staff; crisis intervention; online screenings; an alcohol, tobacco and other drugs prevention program; and a sexual assault education and prevention program.

Faculty members initially speak to incoming freshmen at Rocket Launch about counseling services available at UT.

Counseling services are specifically for students. If UT faculty and staff need counseling services, they are to go though their employee assistance program through the human resources department, Cockrell said.

“We like to make sure our students are well taken care of,” Cockrell said. “If you know something, see something, say something,” he said.

The reported statistic still concerns UT students, and they want to see more services addressing mental health at UT.

“I think it’s so important for university students because we’re already under so much stress,” said Jacob Brewster, second-year mechanical engineering major.

Hannah Wilson, a fourth-year social work major, says she thinks that the university should put more effort into promoting counseling services and establishing new counseling methods.

Wilson uses the counseling center at UT but knows several students that aren’t aware of their services.

Paris Myrick is a first-year transfer student from Owens Community College who didn’t know UT had a counseling center.

He said that counseling services at UT need to be promoted better.

Amber Earhart, first-year mechanical engineering major, said she wasn’t surprised to learn of the suicide statistic at UT. She said that she suffered from mental health issues and wants to see more counseling services at UT.

“UT should add a crisis hotline for students,” Earhart said. “I think that anonymity will help people be more willing to open up about any mental health issues they might be experiencing.”

The counseling center is in Rocket Hall, Room 1810, and its phone number is 419.530.2426.