Women’s swimming and diving wrap up MAC championships

February 27, 2018

In an action-packed four-day tournament in Athens, Ohio, the UT women’s swim and diving team finished sixth amongst MAC teams, acquiring 254 points over the course of the four days. The Rockets improved by 14 points in comparison to last year’s score in the same tournament. Second-year Izzy Jones gained her second consecutive second team All-MAC honors.

Another silver lining to the loss was the performance of the young core that the Rockets feature. Freshman Gracie Storm wrapped up a solid weekend with a prelim time of 2:02.64 in the 200 back, giving her a personal best and placing her in the top 10 in UT history for that event.

First-years Alida Ramden and Lisa Ericksson also had solid outings in the 400-freestyle relay.

They combined with Jones and fourth-year Allison Dicke to place fifth in the event. The 28 points earned from placing in that event helped them edge out Ohio University by one point for the championship.

The University of Akron won the

entire event with 827.5 points, far surpassing second-place finisher Eastern Michigan, who stood at 527 points when the dust settled.

For the Rockets, three new times were earned in the program’s top 10 of all time, and another 9 Rockets earned personal-best times during the competition. Three Rockets also swam times that qualified them for the NCAA B-cut.

Head coach Jonas Persson was optimistic about the performance.

“I’m really proud of the team for how we were able to put it all together in the end,” he said. “Not a perfect championship, but we moved up a spot, scored more points than last year and we’ve got a young team with a bright future.”

The Rockets finish their season with a lot to be proud of and young talent to look forward to in the coming years.