UTEC holds philanthropic Suits for Success 5k race

March 14, 2018

The University of Toledo Engineering Council is teaming up with Theta Tau Professional Engineering Fraternity to host the Suits for Success 5k March 17 on UT’s main campus.

The race will start on Saturday at 9 a.m. in front of the Student Union and is open to all students, faculty and members of the community.

Registration for the event is $20 and open all week on EventBrite. There will be in-person registration Saturday morning before the race, beginning at 8 a.m., and cash will be accepted as well.

Both groups were looking to put on 5k events, so they decided to team up and take on the event together, said Lisa Young, UTEC president and chemical engineering student.

“The idea behind the fund is to give students the opportunity to obtain professional clothing or transportation for professional events such as interviews or conferences,” said Daniel Reichenbach, UTEC member and coordinator for the event.

Reichenbach took on much of the responsibility for the logistical planning of the race and helped coordinate things such as the timing systems and the event schedule.

T-shirts will also be sold at the event to raise money, but they are in limited quantity. Additionally, the top three women and men will receive prizes. All proceeds from the run will be going to the Dean Nagi Naganathan Engineering Student Career Success Fund.

The council knew from the start that they wanted to fundraise for Naganathan’s fund.

“We as a council have had the opportunity to work a lot with Dr. Naganathan while he was our dean, so we wanted to do something to give back to him,” Young said.

They chose this fundraiser because Naganathan always connected with students and took an interest in students’ day-to-day lives, Reichenbach said.

“This fund and this race is all in honor of him since he has left the University, so hopefully we can continue his legacy for years to come,” he said.

Anthony Beier, advisor for UTEC, said this is the biggest fundraiser the council has done for the fund.  

This is the first 5k the UTEC has ever hosted, but members hope it is successful so they can continue the event for years to come.

They are hoping to have enough success to eventually transition the fund into an endowment, having money allotted for each year to support young professionals in Naganathan’s name, Beier said.

The goal is to raise at least $1,000 for the fund, and the council believes they are almost there, so every participant will matter in the overall success of the race.

All information on the race is available on the UTEC’s OrgSync profile and on the Suits for Success 5k page on EventBrite.