Toledo Golf Heads to Arizona

March 20, 2018

The Toledo women’s golf team traveled to Mesa, Arizona, to compete in the Clover Cup where the team finished in a tie for 11th place. The Rockets shot 16 over par in the final round to finish 52 over par for the tournament.

Second-year golfer Saralok Tumfong paced the Rockets shooting six over par and finished in 17th. Third-year Pinyada Kuvanun was next for UT at nine over par, finishing in 29th place.

Third-year golfer Pimchanok Kawil shot 17 over par, good for 53rd place and second-year Donchanok Toburint finished tied for 67th at 22 over par.

Toledo started slow in the first round, shooting 24 over par. They sat in 14th place after the first day of play. Tumfong and Kuvanun shot the best rounds for UT at 76 and 77, respectively.

The second day went much better for Toledo as they shot twelve strokes better. Tumfong posted her best round of the tournament, shooting 73. Kawil and Kuvanun fo

llowed closely shooting 74 and 76 respectively as UT climbed to 11th place. Kuvanun shot the best round by any Rocket in the tournament with 72. Tumfong matched her previous round shooting another 73 and Kawil shot 79 as the team shot 16 over par.

The last day of the tournament did not finish without some drama. No. 15 University of Oklahoma entered the last round trailing No. 8 Arizona State University by four strokes, but they shot four over par 292 as ASU shot a 10 over par 298.

The Sooners won the team title by two strokes with a strong final round led by Julienne Soo with the best round of any player in the tournament at four under par 68.

Soo entered the final round trailing by two strokes to Jaclyn Lee of the Ohio State University. Just like she helped her team to a victory, Soo finished at five under par to win, edging past Lee who shot 71 in the final round and finished the tournament at four under par.

Sophia Zeeb of Arizona State shot two under par for the tournament (70-73-71) to finish in third place. Soo, Lee and Zeeb were the only golfers to finish under par.

The Rockets will travel to Richmond, Kentucky, March 30-31 for Eastern Kentucky’s Colonel Classic.