UT Rockets edged out in Cincinnati

March 20, 2018

The UT baseball team took on the Cincinnati Bearcats (9-10) this past weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio in a three-game series. The Rockets now stand at (4-13) on the season. Last Wednesday’s home game against Findlay was canceled.

Game One

The Bearcats jumped on the board, a lone run to begin the game.

Toledo bounced back in the third inning to tie the game, 1-1. John Sevello, first-year outfielder/right-handed pitcher, reached base on a Bearcat throwing error. Brad Boss, fourth-year fielder, came in to tie the game.

In the third, Cincinnati responded with a pair of runs to regain the lead, 3-1.

UT scored a run in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings, taking a 4-3 lead. With bases loaded in the fifth, fourth-year infielder, Dalton Bollinger, hit a two-out single to drive in a run.

AJ Montoya, fourth-year outfielder/catcher, crushed a home run ball over the left field wall the following inning. Montoya now has 25 career home runs and his second home run of the year.

With runners on first and second in the seventh, first-year infielder, Chris Meyers, received a base on balls. Michael Ryan, second-year catcher, was hit by a pitch and brought in the final Rockets run of the game. The Rockets tallied eight hits in the series opener.

UC fought back and scored another pair of runs in the eighth inning to take a 5-4 victory. The Bearcats had nine hits and errors.  

Game Two

Toledo came ready to fight back to tie the series on Saturday afternoon. The Rockets took an early 1-0 lead in the second inning from Ryan’s solo home run ball to left field.

Cincinnati matched the score later in the inning.

UT regained the lead in the fourth with a pair of runs, 3-1. Ross Adolph, third-year outfielder, sprinted out an RBI triple and then scored on Ryan’s fielder’s choice.

The Rockets brought in another pair of runs in the sixth inning, 5-1. With two runners on base, Ryan hit a 2-RBI single to left field.   

The Bearcats matched the pair of runs again, the same inning, 5-3. 

A trio of runs came in for the Rockets in the seventh, 8-3. Matt Hansen, fourth-year infielder, reached base on a Bearcat error and helped Corey Tipton, fourth-year catcher, score. Boss hit an RBI sac fly and Adolph smacked an RBI double off the right field wall.

UC scored four runs, split between the seventh and eighth innings, 8-7. The Bearcats finished with 12 hits and an error.  

Toledo secured the game, scoring a handful of runs in the ninth inning, 13-5. Servello creamed a three-run homer to left field and Adolph contributed with a solo homer to the opposite field. Riley Campbell, third-year infielder, hit an RBI single to center field.

Sam Shutes, fifth-year right-handed pitcher, secured the Rockets’ victory with 5.1 innings thrown and five strikeouts. Shutes is 3-0 on the season.

Game Three

UT looked to take the series against the Bearcats Sunday afternoon.

Servello hit an RBI single up the middle to bring Hansen home to take an early lead in the first inning, 1-0.

UC responded with a quartet of runs later in the inning, 4-1.

The Rockets’ offense was on fire in the fourth inning as six runs were brought in, 7-4.  

Hansen reached base on an error, allowing Montoya to score. Boss singled home Ryan. Sevello’s effort allowed him to beat out a two-run triple to help regain the lead. Adolph crushed a two-run home run of the scoreboard.

The Bearcats responded with another quartet of runs in the fifth inning, allowing them to retake the lead, 8-7.

Toledo tacked on another run in the seventh, tying the game at 8. Adolph crushed another home run, making this his second homer of the day and third of the weekend. The Rockets would not score again, collecting nine hits and a pair of errors.

Cincinnati matched the run later in the inning, retaking the lead again, 9-8.

The remainder of the game was scoreless, giving the Bearcats another victory over the Rockets and capturing the weekend series. UC collected seven hits and a pair of errors.   

The midnight blue and gold will open the home season this Wednesday, March 21, at 3:05 p.m. against Youngstown State before traveling to Kalamazoo, Michigan to open conference play against the Western Michigan Broncos in a three-game series. First pitches thrown at 4 p.m. on Friday the 23 and 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, the 24 and 25.