UT softball goes 2-1 in Eagle Classic tournament:

March 20, 2018

UT’s softball team went 2-1 in the Eagle Classic over the past weekend against Oakland University, East Tennessee State University and Morehead State University.

The first contest of the Eagle Classic pitted UT against East Tennessee State, a formidable opponent. Despite this, UT prevailed with an 8-5 victory. Third-year pitcher Kailey Minarchick pitched the whole game for her sixth victory of the season thus far.

The Rockets were also aided due to strong bat performances. The team scored in each of the first five innings, with first-year center Bailey Curry, second-year first baseman Morgan Paaverud and third-year third baseman Katie Cozy all hit home runs for the Rockets. For Curry, it was her team-leading seventh home run of the year.

The Rockets then faced host school Morehead State in a showdown that was defined by third-year pitcher Heather Webb’s dominant pitching performance. Webb struck out seven batters and only allowed three hits in the Rocket’s 4-0 victory.

Fourth-year centerfielder Ashley Rausch broke through in the third inning with a solo home run, breaking a no-hit bid for opposing pitcher Chelsea McManaway. Third-year second baseman Megan Choate smashed a two-run home run that would solidify a 4-0 win.

In the final game of the classic, the Rockets would meet its match against an upset-minded Oakland team. Oakland went into the match at only 5-12 on the season thus far and with the Rockets striking first and scoring twice in the first inning, the game seemed like a foregone conclusion.

However, that was not the case. Oakland scored in each of the last three innings to come from behind and steal the game from the Rockets, 6-2. The Rockets committed three errors in the outfield, and second-year Alissa Noble would lose the start at pitcher for the Rockets. She now drops to 0-2 on the year.

The Rockets are now 14-12 on the season and should be proud of the results at the Eagle Classic in Kentucky. The Rockets were slated to compete against East Tennessee State once again, but the game was canceled.

The Rockets will travel to Dayton, Ohio to face off against Wright State in a contest Toledo hopes will prepare the team for MAC play.