Students secure residency at Match Day

Match Day at UTMC paired 156 medical students with residency positions in an array of specialties at hospitals and clinics across the country.

This year’s matches included 23 different fields including child neurology, family medicine and orthopedic surgery. Most matches were in anesthesiology, emergency medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics.

Of the matched students, 10 percent of them will work in Northwest Ohio. One of those graduates is Christina Camick, who matched to a general surgery residency at UT.

She said she was ecstatic to continue at UT because she is from Toledo and is very comfortable on campus. Camick attended UT for both her undergraduate and medical degrees.

As for her future career after residency, Camick said, “I think academic medicine is for sure my future. I enjoy research as well as working with students.”

Camick also said she wants to continue her career at UT but would be happy to be anywhere in the Midwest close to her family.

Grace Maltbie and 59 medical students matched to residencies in Ohio.

Maltbie matched to a radiology residency in Cleveland, her hometown.

The residency is split between two hospitals, with the first year at St. Vincent’s, and the rest at University Hospitals, which is affiliated with Case Western University.

She plans to specialize in breast and abdominal radiology.

Maltbie has visited many hospitals and done several rotations with them, and from all the feedback she has gotten, people say she seems very well-prepared, Maltbie said. She attributed her preparedness to her training at UT’s medical school.

Several matches were also made in other states with Michigan and Pennsylvania the second and third top contenders after Ohio.

12 students, including Latima Collins, matched in Pennsylvania.

Collins matched at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center – Magee Campus in a OB/GYN residency.

“I’m from Detroit and I’m also a minority. I’m black, and so many of the people I know from Detroit all have children, but they aren’t married, they don’t have an education and they’re struggling to take care of their kids,” Collins said. “They aren’t really informed about women’s health.”

Collins is specializing in Maternal/Fetal Medicine with education on women’s health: two areas at the forefront of her career goals.

Collins said UT did a great job preparing its medical students for residency, holding meetings and conferences about matching, providing mock interviews with professors and meeting with students to talk about what residency would be best for them.

UT Medical students matched to positions in 26 other states across the country, but Ohio remains the number one choice for students.