Toledo Baseball takes on Western Michigan

March 27, 2018

UT’s baseball team (6-14, 2-1 MAC) took on the Western Michigan Broncos (10-11, 1-2 MAC) in a three-games series in Kalamazoo, Michigan this past weekend. The Youngstown State game last Wednesday was canceled and is rescheduled for Tuesday, May 8th with first pitch at 3:05 p.m.

WMU Game 1

Western scored a trio of runs in the first inning to take an early 3-0 lead. Two more Broncos runs were scored, split between the fourth and eighth innings, leading 5-0. WMU collected six hits and an error in the 5-0 shutout victory over the Rockets.

John Servello, first-year outfielder/right-handed pitcher, Ross Adolph, third-year outfielder, and AJ Montoya, fourth-year outfielder/catcher, collected the three Rockets hits in the MAC season opener.     

Michael Jacob, third-year left-handed pitcher, started for UT’s pitching. Jacob struck out five and tied a career-high of seven innings pitched.

Game 2

Toledo got on the board with a run in the third inning, 1-0. Casey Gose, fourth-year infielder, bunted for a single and advanced to second on sac-fly from Matt Hansen, fourth-year infielder. Servello hit an RBI-single to score Gose.

Three innings later, the Rockets tacked on another run, 2-0, due to a pair of WMU errors. Brad Boss, fourth-year fielder, hit an RBI-single with bases loaded. 

In the ninth, UT collected an insurance run, 3-0. Gose’s deep sac-fly to center field brought Trace Hatfield, first-year infielder, in to score. 

Sam Shutes, fifth-year right-handed pitcher, threw a career-high 8.1 innings. Shutes (4-0) allowed five hits, walked one and struck out eight. Nate Haugh, third-year right-handed pitcher, secured the Rockets victory.

Game 3

The Rockets were eager to capture the weekend series Sunday afternoon.

Toledo jumped on the board in the first inning, taking a 1-0 lead. Boss walked and scored on Adolph’s RBI-double to right field.

WMU responded with a quartet of runs, between the first and third innings, taking a 4-1 lead.   

Scoreless innings occurred until the seventh inning when UT scored a handful of runs, leading 6-4. Hansen, Dalton Bollinger, fourth-year infielder, and Chris Meyers, first-year infielder, each drew a bases-loaded walk. Gose crushed an RBI-single and Servello was hit by a pitch, bringing in a run.    

UT’s offense left where they ended the previous inning, scoring a run for each day of the week, leading 13-4. 

Gose and Hansen each drew bases-loaded walks and brought in runs. Boss creamed a two-RBI-double in the left-center gap. Michael Ryan, second-year catcher, hit an RBI-single and Adolph brought in a pair of runs due to a mishandled line drive to third base.

Alex Wagner, fourth-year left-handed pitcher, earned the victory (1-1) and Haugh secured another save.

The midnight blue and gold continue the season with another four games in five days, all on the road throughout the Buckeye State. The Rockets will battle the Ohio State Buckeyes on Wednesday, March 28th at 6:35 p.m. The remainder of the week will be in Oxford taking on the Miami Redhawks in a three-game series. First pitches in Oxford are at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 30th, 4 p.m. on Saturday March 31st and 1 p.m. on Sunda