UTPD to get new hub

March 28, 2018

The Ohio State Highway Patrol and UT Police Department partnered up to build a new safety building at the corner of Dorr Street and Secor Road.

UT’s master plan outlines the proposed safety building, but the timing worked out that the State Highway Patrol also needs a new building, UT Police Chief Jeff Newton said.

UT and the highway patrol requested capital funds to finance the building.

“It is tough to finance a building alone so with the state patrol we are hoping to do it together since it is difficult to do it on our own,” Newton said.

The 10-year master plan calls for the removal of the transportation center being replaced by the new safety building. 

“The State Highway Patrol security station on Airport Highway in Swanton was built in 1962 and is too small for the number of people that go in and out of it,” Captain John Altman said, Findlay district commander of Ohio State Highway Patrol. 

With the move, neither UTPD nor the state highway patrolmen will experience operational changes.

“We will still have our duties and UT will still have theirs, just both forces will be in the same building,” Altman said.

The building will be on Secor and Dorr in the empty lot UT owns across the street from Oasis. The transportation center will be removed after the new building is constructed.  

“We will be able to help each other when we cannot do it on our own like the opioid problem and fatality rates, we are here to support everyone,” Altman said. “They saw a collaboration of assets to be more efficient.”

Some students hope the new building will reduce crime and increase student safety in the area.

“I think it is a great idea, I have heard the neighborhood near that area is not good so hopefully it will reduce crimes in the area,” said Alexander Miller, a third-year information systems major.

It will act as a central hub for UTPD, Newton said. In an emergency, UT police or students can go to the patrol post of help.

“My concern is the efficiency going to be there, there is a lot you can do with the multimillion dollars they are requesting, is it going to be worth it?” said Jeremy White, a third-year international business major.