Election results are in

With the recent Student Government elections concluded, a new president and vice president are set to take office in fall 2018. However, voter turnout was down by 500 votes from last year.

Out of 23,000 students who attend UT, 434 turned out on OrgSync to vote this election – compared to the 934 voters in the 2017 election, according to statistics provided by SG.

“This is a lower voter turnout than last year, which I believe is due to the election being uncontested,” said Kyle Zapadka, SG’s speaker of the House.

Current Vice President Drew Williams will succeed President Jimmy Russell, and Senator Sofie Rodriguez will replace Williams as vice president.

Williams and Rodriguez planned to campaign on connecting UT with downtown Toledo, improve sexual assault awareness and education within student organizations, work to provide more funding to the Counselling Center and increased transparency, but now the incoming executives are working with the administration on all these points.

“We are working with Dr. Flapp and understanding where we can allocate more resources to the Counselling Center,” Rodriguez said. “There are a lot of flaws with the Counselling Center and part of my personal mission as well as the current president’s is to improve everything.”

16 senators were also elected in uncontested elections, including second-year political science major Dillon Horter.

“What I would like to see is though, seeing SG becoming a bigger voice on campus,” Horter said. “I would like to see students come to SG more often with their daily issues more regularly.”