ISA celebrates diversity

April 4, 2018

UT’s International Student Association will host a night of celebration, entertainment and international cuisine April 6 in an effort to promote diversity on campus.

The event, held in the Student Union, will include dinner with dishes sourced from international restaurants around the Toledo area. 

President of ISA Jose Viloria views cuisine as an excellent way to experience the culture of others.

“It’s a way for all of our organizations to show their culture through dance and food,” Viloria said. “The only thing we ask is you be willing to learn and experience other cultures.”

The night’s festivities will also include traditional dances performed by representatives of ISA’s 12 associations. 

This is the 42nd year ISA will host the international dinner and it is the organization’s biggest event. This year’s festivities will continue ISA’s long-standing tradition of promoting diversity and learning on UT’s campus. 

“I always tell my members, do not ever get upset if someone asks you where you’re from and doesn’t know where your country is on the map,” said Viloria, who is Venezuelan by birth. “That’s a moment for you to be an ambassador and educate others.” 

According to Griso Barrios, ISA’s vice president, the organization is responsible for proving that sense of community that international students need to be successful in college. 

The officers and members of ISA are confident the dinner’s festivities will encourage the integration of students of different cultures. For Barrios, this kind of education is necessary for a healthy campus and should be fun.

“A lot of students come and don’t have anyone on campus, we want to be that home for international students, a resource that they can use to meet people from their country and from other countries that are probably going through the same thing,” Barrios said.

Tickets can be purchased at Ask Rocky for $15. At the door, tickets can be purchased for $20. Doors will open at 6 p.m.