Rocket Baseball struggles Easter Weekend

April 3, 2018

UT’s baseball team (7-17, 3-3 MAC) took on the Ohio State Buckeyes (19-8, 2-1 Big Ten) and the Miami (OH) RedHawks (15-9, 4-2 MAC) last week. Last Tuesday’s home game against Defiance College was cancelled.

Fourth-year right-handed pitcher Sam Shutes collected the MAC Scholar-Athlete of the Week Award for his performance at Western Michigan.

Ohio State

The Rockets took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Third-year outfielder Ross Adolph, drove in first-year infielder Trace Hatfield on a ground out.

The Buckeye offense was firing on all cylinders as the team scored all its runs from the second inning to the sixth. OSU took a 19-1 lead and collected 13 hits.

Toledo had an opportunity to score in the fifth inning with bases loaded, but couldn’t come through with a hit.

UT came alive in the eighth, scoring a trio of runs to trail Ohio State, 19-4. Adolph smashed an RBI double in the eighth, scoring first-year outfielders Zach Schwartzenberger and John Servello scored on a wild pitch and Adolph scored in result of a fielder’s choice.

The Rockets came up short in Columbus, in a 19-4 decision, with eight hits and an error.

Fourth-year infielder Casey Gose collected three of Toledo’s hits. This marks his third straight game with multiple hits since becoming a part of the starting lineup.       

Miami – Game 1

The RedHawks scored a quartet of runs, 4-0, split between the second and third innings.     

Toledo responded in the fourth inning with a pair of runs, 4-2, to cut Miami’s lead in half. First-year outfielder Chris Meyers and Servello each drew walks. Adolph smashed a two-RBI double to right field.

Miami tacked on a run in the fifth and seventh innings, expanding its lead, 6-2.

The Rockets offense exploded in the eighth, scoring a handful of runs and taking a 7-6 lead. Three straight singles loaded the bases and a run was scored on a walk. RBI singles came from Hatfield and fourth-year outfielder/catcher AJ Montoya.

Fourth-year infielder/catcher Dalton Bollinger hit a sac-fly and second-year catcher Michael Ryan hit into a fielder’s choice.

MU scored another pair of runs, split between the eighth and ninth innings, to win the series opener, 8-7.

The RedHawks collected 12 hits and an error compared to the Rockets eight hits and three errors.

Game 2

After a scoreless first inning, Adolph cranked a home run over the right field wall at the first pitch thrown, giving the Rockets a 1-0 lead.

Miami matched the run later in the inning and collected two more in the third, taking a 3-1 lead.

UT regained the lead in the sixth with a trio of runs, 4-3. Adolph sprinted out a two-RBI triple, bringing home Hatfield and Servello. Bollinger’s single brought Adolph home in the next at-bat.

MU tied the game later in the inning, 4-4, due to a two-out Rocket error.

Toledo added a pair of runs the following inning to lead 6-4. Meyers singled and reached third on an error. Brad Boss, fourth-year fielder, hit a two-run home run over the right field wall.

Another pair of runs came in the ninth for the Rockets. Gose bunted and fifth-year catcher Corey Tipton scored. Meyers scored on a wild Redhawk pitch, giving the UT an 8-4 lead.

The Rockets held the RedHawks scoreless in the ninth to secure the series-tying, 8-4, victory. Shutes earned his fifth win and second-year right-handed pitcher Austin Calopierto earned his first save.

UT collected 11 hits and an error to Miami’s 12 hits and an error. 

Game 3

Toledo scored a pair of runs, 2-0, in the third after two scoreless innings. Gose scored a Miami error and Boss singled Meyers home.

The RedHawks matched the runs and added another, later in the inning.

UT added another two runs in the sixth to regain the lead, 4-3. Adolph doubled, scoring Servello, and Bollinger singled, scoring Adolph.

The seventh was just like the sixth for the Rockets. Hatfield crushed a two-RBI double to lead MU, 6-3.

Miami responded with a trio of runs to tie the game at six apiece in the eighth inning. In the ninth, the RedHawks tacked on the seventh run to defeat the Rockets, 7-6, and taking the weekend series.  

The Rockets will take on the Michigan Wolverines (16-11, 3-0 Big Ten) on April 4th, at 4 p.m. in Ann Arbor, Michigan before hosting the Ohio Bobcats (14-12, 3-3 MAC) in a three-game weekend series, April 6-8th. First pitches against the Bobcats are 3 p.m. on Friday and 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.   UT’s baseball team (7-17, 3-3 MAC) took on the Ohio State Buckeyes (19-8, 2-1 Big Ten) and the Miami (OH) RedHawks (15-9, 4-2 MAC) last week. Last Tuesday’s home game against Defiance College was cancelled. Fourth-year right-handed pitcher Sam Shutes collected the MAC Scholar-Athlete of the Week Award for his performance at Western Michigan. Ohio State The Rockets took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Third-year outfielder Ross Adolph, drove in first-year infielder Trace Hatfield on a ground out. The Buckeye offense was firing on all cylinders as the team scored all its runs from the second inning to the sixth. OSU took a 19-1 lead and collected 13 hits. Toledo had an opportunity to score in the fifth inning with bases loaded, but couldn’t come through with a hit. UT came alive in the eighth, scoring a trio of runs to trail Ohio State, 19-4. Adolph smashed an RBI double in the eighth, scoring first-year outfielders Zach Schwartzenberger and John Servello scored on a wild pitch and Adolph scored in result of a fielder’s choice. The Rockets came up short in Columbus, in a 19-4 decision, with eight hits and an error. Fourth-year infielder Casey Gose collected three of Toledo’s hits. This marks his third straight game with multiple hits since becoming a part of the starting lineup. Miami – Game 1 The RedHawks scored a quartet of runs, 4-0, split between the second and third innings. Toledo responded in the fourth inning with a pair of runs, 4-2, to cut Miami’s lead in half. First-year outfielder Chris Meyers and Servello each drew walks. Adolph smashed a two-RBI double to right field. Miami tacked on a run in the fifth and seventh innings, expanding its lead, 6-2. The Rockets offense exploded in the eighth, scoring a handful of runs and taking a 7-6 lead. Three straight singles loaded the bases and a run was scored on a walk. RBI singles came from Hatfield and fourth-year outfielder/catcher AJ Montoya. Fourth-year infielder/catcher Dalton Bollinger hit a sac-fly and second-year catcher Michael Ryan hit into a fielder’s choice. MU scored another pair of runs, split between the eighth and ninth innings, to win the series opener, 8-7. The RedHawks collected 12 hits and an error compared to the Rockets eight hits and three errors. Game 2 After a scoreless first inning, Adolph cranked a home run over the right field wall at the first pitch thrown, giving the Rockets a 1-0 lead. Miami matched the run later in the inning and collected two more in the third, taking a 3-1 lead. UT regained the lead in the sixth with a trio of runs, 4-3. Adolph sprinted out a two-RBI triple, bringing home Hatfield and Servello. Bollinger’s single brought Adolph home in the next at-bat. MU tied the game later in the inning, 4-4, due to a two-out Rocket error. Toledo added a pair of runs the following inning to lead 6-4. Meyers singled and reached third on an error. Brad Boss, fourth-year fielder, hit a two-run home run over the right field wall. Another pair of runs came in the ninth for the Rockets. Gose bunted and fifth-year catcher Corey Tipton scored. Meyers scored on a wild Redhawk pitch, giving the UT an 8-4 lead. The Rockets held the RedHawks scoreless in the ninth to secure the series-tying, 8-4, victory. Shutes earned his fifth win and second-year right-handed pitcher Austin Calopierto earned his first save. UT collected 11 hits and an error to Miami’s 12 hits and an error. Game 3 Toledo scored a pair of runs, 2-0, in the third after two scoreless innings. Gose scored a Miami error and Boss singled Meyers home. The RedHawks matched the runs and added another, later in the inning. UT added another two runs in the sixth to regain the lead, 4-3. Adolph doubled, scoring Servello, and Bollinger singled, scoring Adolph. The seventh was just like the sixth for the Rockets. Hatfield crushed a two-RBI double to lead MU, 6-3. Miami responded with a trio of runs to tie the game at six apiece in the eighth inning. In the ninth, the RedHawks tacked on the seventh run to defeat the Rockets, 7-6, and taking the weekend series. The Rockets will take on the Michigan Wolverines (16-11, 3-0 Big Ten) on April 4th, at 4 p.m. in Ann Arbor, Michigan before hosting the Ohio Bobcats (14-12, 3-3 MAC) in a three-game weekend series, April 6-8th. First pitches against the Bobcats are 3 p.m. on Friday and 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.