Rocket golf finishes sixth

April 3, 2018

Over the weekend, UT’s women’s golf team finished in sixth place at Eastern Kentucky University’s Colonel Classic.

The Rockets finished in seventh place in the opening round on Friday. The tournament was originally scheduled for 54 holes but was cut down to 36 holes due to a large amount of rain over the last two days at the par-72, 5,815-yard University Club at Arlington.

Western Kentucky led the field of 14 teams after shooting a first-round total of nine-over 297 with Akron in second place at 10-over par. The Rockets were just eight strokes out of the lead after scoring a 17-over par 305. The Hilltoppers' Mary Joiner was the individual leader of the day at two-under 70.

Third-year Pinyada Kuvanun finished just three shots out of the lead and tied for fourth place at one-over par 73. Second-year Saranlak Tumfong tied for 22nd place at four-over par 76 with third-year Natcha Daengpiem one stroke behind and tied for 29th place at five-over par 77.

Showing up for the Rockets were third-years Hannah Kochendoerfer (79/T-46th) and Pimchanok Kawil (80/T-59th). Also competing for UT as individuals were Donchanok Toburint (77/T-29th) and Thunpijja Sukkasem (81/T-62nd).

On Saturday, Xavier won the tournament title in a playoff over the host Colonels after the two teams finished tied for first place on Friday at 19-over 595. Western Kentucky's Joiner and Akron's Danielle Nicholson finished tied for medalist honors with Joiner birdieing the first playoff hole to take home the trophy.

Second-year Saranlak Tumfong recorded a top 10 finish for Toledo by tying for ninth place at six-over par 150 (76-74). Two more Rockets were within three strokes of Tumfong. The duo of third-years Kuvanun and Daengpiem (73-78) tied for 15th and 28th place, respectively, at seven-over 151 and nine-over par 153.

The Rockets will return to action at Bowling Green's Dolores Black Invitational on Saturday and Sunday, April 7 and 8.