Rockets tied for first place in the MAC west after wrapping up solid week

April 3, 2018

The Rockets started the week hosting Oakland University on Wednesday, March 28th for a double-header. The Rockets would come out on top in both contests, 1-0 and 2-1.

The first match was characterized by defense, with third-year Heather Webb showing out for her tenth win of the season. She included eight strikeouts in the victory as well. Third-year Katie Cozy put down an RBI single for the games only score.

The second match against Oakland proved to also be a defensive showcase, with both teams locking down the other. Third-year Kailey Minarchick dominated Oakland in her start for her ninth win of the season.

She struck out six batters and only gave up four hits. Cozy and first-year Bekah Yenrick both had RBIs to give the Rockets their two runs.

A second set of games during the week for the Rockets came in a three-game series against the Kent State Golden Flashes. The Rockets would go 2 and 1 against Kent State, putting the Rockets in a tie for first place in the MAC west.

The first game was not an ideal start to the series for the Rockets. After falling behind earlier, the Rockets found themselves in a 6-2 hole in the seventh and final inning. The Rockets, however, would rally for four runs in the seventh and send the game to extra innings, ultimately losing in a walk-off finish in the eighth, 7-6.

For the Rockets, Cozy and first-year Bailey Curry both had two RBIs, while first-year Kylie Norwood added one. Webb was handed her sixth loss of the season, on the defensive end.

The second match between the conference rivals proved to have much better results for the Rockets, as they exploded for 11 runs in an 11-3 victory over Kent.

In the offensive explosion, first-years Ebony Garza and Meghan Choate, along with Cozy, all hit home runs, as Minarchick racked up her 10th victory of the season on the mound.

On Sunday, both teams faced off in the rubber match. Again, the Rockets prevailed with a score of 6-3.

Unlike the second game, the Rockets did not get off easy with this win. The Golden Flashes would claw back from a 3-0 deficit early and tie the game at three. The Rockets, though, would finish strong, aided by solid hitting and even better defense to secure the victory

On the defensive end, Minarchick came in for relief and earned her 11th win of the year, pitching three scoreless innings. Offensively, the Rockets were mainly aided by Cozy who went two for four with two RBIs.

Toledo will host Eastern Michigan and Bowling Green, separately, in the coming week. These games will have massive implications on MAC standings.