Six Rockets qualify for MAC tournament

April 3, 2018

The Toledo women’s track and field competed in the Raleigh Relays March 30 and 31; six girls posted times good enough to qualify for the Mid-American Conference tournament at the end of the season.

"The team really came ready to compete this weekend and we saw a lot of personal-bests throughout events," Head Coach Linh Nguyen said following the end of day two. "It's not a stretch to say they enjoyed the weather."

Third-year sprinter Janice Williams set the tone on day one, finishing second in the 100m dash, setting a personal best and qualifying for the MAC tournament.

Fourth-year runner Jannell Noe finished seventh in 1500m, also qualifying for the MAC with a personal best. Fellow fourth-year Petronela Simiuc finished eleventh, about two seconds behind her teammate. She also ran a MAC qualifying time.

The Rockets had three runners all set personal best and qualify for the end-of-year tournament in the 3000m steeplechase. Athena Welsh finished fifth, Stephanie Barlow finished tenth and Olivia Chinn finished twelfth.

Third-year field athlete Katie Dewey finished in ninth place in the shotput with a personal best of 14.43 meters. Third-year Sally Frank and first-year Chloe Kleespies also set personal best in the shotput, but failed to qualify for the MAC tournament.

First-year athlete Karoline Steppin set a personal best in the long jump with 5.77 meters. Steppin also set her personal best in the javelin in day two of competition with a throw of 38.83 meters finishing in 20th place.

Third-year distance runner Jennifer Lichter ran a personal best finishing tenth with a time of 34:22.82 and fellow distance runner Joan Jepkiuri ran a personal best 34:39.84 finish in fifteenth place.

UT continued their success on the second day with four top 10 finishers.

Third-year sprinter Yana Kabina led the way, finishing second in the 400m hurdles with a time of 59.01, good enough to qualify for the MAC tournament. Graduate student Danda de Silva finished seventh in the event.

Third-year sprinter Nautica Hill also put on an impressive performance, finishing in second place in the 200m dash with a time of 24.45. Teammate Christina Johnson finished eleven places back.

The team of third-year sprinter

Shanice Williams, Hill, Johnson and Sally Frank ran a 46.63 in the 4x100 relay, good enough for fifth place.

"It was great to see Yana and Nautica start so strong today," Nguyen said. "It's hard to start the season that well in the 200m and hurdles, especially with the lack of outdoor training due to weather. However, they are both hard-working athletes, so I'm not surprised. Yana should make the first round of the NCAA meet with that performance."

With a promising start to the outdoor season, the midnight blue and gold will look to keep it going on Friday as they travel to take on their archrival, Bowling Green.

The team of third-year sprinter Shanice Williams, Hill, Johnson and Sally Frank ran a 46.63 in the 4x100 relay, good enough for fifth place.