Kruse: Field of dreams

April 11, 2018

It doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from, everyone dreams about their future. Anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it. Country kids have dreams of doing great things too.

I am part of the sixth generation of my family to live in the small farm town of Woodville, Ohio, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. My German ancestors saw great potential in this little town for raising a family for years to come, and they accomplished a lot to get us where we are today. I’m proud to be a part of a great and supportive community where we are taught to work hard, be honest, respect others, live faithfully and, simply, enjoy the slower pace of life.

The Small Town, USA I know is a place where everybody knows everybody, has the fresh air with soft breezes, the green, green grass of home, country mile roads and farm fields, walks in the woods, the peaceful Portage River, helpful neighbors, big families, church bells, traditional country music, cornhole, chicken BBQs after church, town hall’s noon time whistle, small town festivals, our small businesses, our schools and our pride in which we share into making Woodville one of the greatest small towns.

After graduating from Woodmore High School in 2013, I wasn’t ready to move on to some enormous college. Several universities I visited didn’t make me feel like I could belong, so I was content commuting to Owens Community College for two and a half years.

When my UT visit finished, I knew this was my new home and where I belonged. Since day one of the 2016 spring semester, every step of my journey has been cherished. The commute has doubled, but it’s been worth it.

As a full-time student, I’ve become a member of Zeta Phi Eta, Lambda Pi Eta, the UT:10 newscast and this paper you’re reading. I took on all of this while working three to four part-time jobs back home and volunteering in the Woodmore Athletic Department.

Wearing a suit and tie for church, UT:10 News or for a career in the media, doesn’t bother me. But pass a flannel or plaid shirt my way with comfortable, faded blue jeans and boots, and I’ll be your best friend. When approaching town or my county road, peace and comfort overflow me because there’s no place like home.

A sign at home says, “I like living in our little town where the trees meet each other across the street. Good people live in our little town, the kind of folks you like to meet. For life is interwoven with friends we’ve come to know, and we hear their joys and sorrows as we daily come and go. I love living in Woodville, I care no more to roam, for every house here in our little town is more than a house, it’s a home.”

It’s hard to believe that, in less than a month, I’ll be in the Glass Bowl with fellow classmates becoming the next alumni generation. I’m grateful for the education I’ve received at UT that has prepared me for the real world and the journalism field.

I’ve worked hard to get to where I am today. I dream and hope to be a successful somebody in the journalism field, but I’ll never forget where I’ve come from and the “little man” morals I was raised on. Start sowing now, and you’ll reap the benefits down the road.