Rocket Baseball takes down Bobcats in three

April 10, 2018

UT’s baseball team (9-18, 5-4 MAC) battled the Ohio Bobcats (15-14, 4-5 MAC) in three games (15-14, 4-5 MAC) last week. Last Tuesday’s game at University of Michigan was canceled.

Ohio – Game 1

The Bobcats scored a run in the first inning to lead, 1-0, and kept UT scoreless until the third.

Toledo matched Ohio’s run to tie, 1-1, in the third. Chris Meyers, first-year infielder, hustled out an RBI-triple, scoring Casey Gose, fourth-year infielder. 

OU’s offense pounced on the Rockets in the fourth, scoring six runs, and took a 7-1 lead.

UT tacked on a run later in the inning, trailing 7-2. AJ Montoya, fourth-year outfielder/catcher, reached third base from his sky-high hit and Trace Hatfield, first-year infielder, scored.  

Toledo added another run the following inning, trailing 7-3. Gose reached base on a bunt single and advanced to second on an error. John Servello, first-year outfielder/right-handed pitcher, scored Gose on a right field liner.

Ohio added a quartet of runs, leading 11-3, in the sixth.

The Rockets battled to earn another run, 11-4, later in the inning. Michael Ryan, second-year catcher, hit into a fielder’s choice and allowed Dalton Bollinger, fourth-year infielder/catcher, to score.

UT collected 11 hits and an error. Servello extended his hitting streak to 15 games with a pair of hits.

The Bobcats tacked on four more runs, 15-4, taking the first game from UT on 14 hits and three errors.

Game 2

Toledo looked to even the series on Saturday afternoon.

OU jumped on the board right off the bat with a pair of runs in the first inning, 2-0.

The Rockets responded with a run later in the inning, trailing 2-1. Brad Boss, fourth-year outfielder/infielder, singled and advanced to second on a balk. Servello singled and Hatfield hit a sac-fly to score Boss.

Chances came in the fourth and sixth innings to take the lead for UT but fell short. 

The eighth inning came along for Toledo and scored a pair of runs to take a 3-2 lead. Bollinger singled and Montoya crushed a two-run home run. UT collected seven hits in the ballgame.

The Bobcats went down fighting in the ninth, but came up short as Toledo won 3-2 to even the series.

Servello added another game to his hitting streak (16) and has reached base in 20 consecutive games. 

Sam Shutes, fifth-year right-handed pitcher, earned his sixth victory (6-0) of the season and Austin Calopierto, second-year right-handed pitcher, recorded the save (2). 

Game 3

Sunday afternoon was a beautiful day for a ballgame and the Rockets were eager to take the series.

UT took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Hatfield’s ground out scored Servello.

Boss bombed a home run two innings later, giving the Rockets a 2-0 lead.  

The Bobcats responded with a run in the fourth, 2-1, cutting Toledo’s lead in half.

The Rockets added a pair of runs the following inning, extending the lead to 4-1. Hatfield’s RBI-single drove in Servello. Bollinger’s single brought Adolph home.

Adolph recorded his eighth home run of the season in the sixth, crushing a grand slam to extend the Rockets lead, 8-1.     

Toledo held the Bobcats scoreless and secured another victory, taking two of the three games. The Rockets collected 13 hits and an error, while OU collected eight hits. 

Jacob Youngpeter, first-year left-handed pitcher, earned his first collegiate victory (1-1).  

The midnight blue and gold play the Madonna Crusaders April 11 at 7 p.m. in Detroit, MI, at Comerica Park. MAC play resumes this weekend April 13-15, at Central Michigan. First pitches against the Chippewas in Mount Pleasant are 3 p.m. on Friday, 2 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.