Students let loose and relax at RocketFest

It’s safe to say that college students can use some stress relief.

UT’s InterFraternity Council (IFC) thought so as well, and so they partnered with 
Campus Activities and Programming (CAP) to host RocketFest April 5 in the Student Union Auditorium.

The event was from 7 - 10 p.m. and featured live music, free food and inflatables.

“[RocketFest] kind of brings together students from all over campus to celebrate just being UT students,” said John Fetchet, third-year finance and sales student and a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon, a fraternity affiliated with the IFC.

Blake Mielcarek, fourth-year sales and marketing major and president of Pi Kappa Phi, said he brought a few members of his fraternity with him, and they raced each other on one of the inflatables.

First-year disabilities studies major, Desteny Velton, said she was “geeked” that she won the Kendrick Lamar tickets. 

“I was praying [to win] the whole time!” Velton said.

First-year professional sales major Noah Fox and fourth-year philosophy major Brian Hinds said they came to the event for the concert ticket giveaways, which included Number Fest, Sam Smith, Bonnaroo, Faster Horses and Kendrick Lamar.

Aanchal Senapati, an MBA student double majoring in information systems and operations management and CAP chair of RocketFest, said CAP hosts a concert event every year. This year, the organization wanted to promote student bands.

Performances featured DJ Sharkbait, homegrownups, Ice Cream Militia and Chloe and the Steel Strings.

Fourth-year chemistry major Kyle Polak is a two-year member of Ice Cream Militia who plays the guitar and sang for their performance.

“There’s just an incredible amount of talent at the university, I think, and it’s so great to be able to play with this group of guys over and over again, especially on campus, where, you know, friends can actually come,” Polak said.

Approximately 500 people attended RocketFest, according to Niecy Billups, a third-year media communication major and two-year CAP member.

Doryin Thames, a third-year marketing and professional sales major and vice president of operations for IFC, said he was thrilled about the event’s turnout. When asked if there are any differences he wants to make happen at the event next year, Thames replied, “bigger and better in every way possible.”