UTPD offers reward for missing sculptures

Two pieces of two separate sculptures were found missing on March 15.

“Profiling,” a white metal outline of three people, featuring a mother, father and child, stands along the path between the Student Union and Field House. The child, which stands about three feet tall, was stolen.

“Three Tenors,” near the Root Bridge at the corner of North Towerview Boulevard and Stadium Drive displays three roosters. The smallest one, also about three feet tall, was stolen.

According to a UTPD police report, the pieces are worth $2,283.

The sculptures, both secured by nuts and bolts, were part of the Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition.

The artist cannot afford to replace the parts of the sculpture. It’s stealing from the artist since they insure the pieces themselves, said Steven LeBlanc, chairman of the university’s Campus Beautification Committee.

We have been doing this for 13 years, and people have vandalized the pieces before, but this is the first time for theft, LeBlanc said.

The Midwest Initiative, the curator of the exhibit, is offering a $250 reward for information leading to the recovery of the missing pieces.

“It’s sad that people are doing this because the artists took time and effort over these pieces just to be stolen,” said Haley Gerlica, a third-year education major.

Anyone with information regarding the sculptures is urged to call campus police at 419.530.2600.