Women’s Track and Field Battle of 1-75 ends in tie

April 10, 2018

The Toledo women’s track and field tied with arch rival Bowling Green State University this weekend in the Battle for I-75. UT was missing several runners but still managed 10 first-place finishes out of 18 events.

The Rockets held a small lead for most of the day until the Falcons secured the top three spots in the 200m and took the lead. UT tied the score in the final event the 4x400 relay, winning first place.

First-year runner Kennedy Glover burst out of the blocks and gave UT an early lead. Then third-year runner Christina Johnson and graduate student Dana da Silva kept the lead right where Glover left it.

“A tie is better than a loss, but it's not as good as a win, so we're leaving satisfied," said head coach Linh Nguyen.

Third-year runner Yana Khabina anchored the team and cruised through the finish line to give the Rockets a tie instead of a loss.

In other action, third-year runner Shanice Williams won the 100m dash running a time of 11.97. Johnson finished four spots back of her teammate.

Second-year runner Tori Thompson and third-year runner Nautica Hill placed fourth and sixth, respectively in the 200m dash. Third-year sprinter Josie Yesmunt finished fifth in the 400m with a time of 1:09.72.

Fourth-year runner Petroneala Simiuc grabbed first place in the 800m, even though she was doubtful to participate in the race. Teammate Olivia Chinn finished in third place about three seconds behind Simiuc.

"Overall, I'm pretty happy with the meet," Nguyen said. "Across the board, we had a lot of really good performances. You'd rather win than tie, but we had to scratch a few of our top distance kids because of nagging injuries.”

Chinn did win the 1500m, however, with a time of 4:47.89. Fourth-year distance runner Joan Jepkiuri finished right behind her in second place. Second-year runner Maddie Ferner and first-year runner Kayla Chapman finished fifth and sixth for the Rockets.

Fourth-year distance runner Janelle Noe took first place in the 3k 10:03.28. First-year distance runner Michelle Hostettler finished in third, about 10 seconds behind her teammate.

First-year runner Janell Rowe finished second in the 100m hurdles with her teammate Madison Pierce finishing behind her for third place. Khabina won first place in the 400m hurdles, however, with da Silva finishing a few spots back in third.

UT dominated the 2000m steeplechase, taking the top two spots. Fourth-year distance runner Stephanie Barlow ran a 7:05.39 to capture first place and teammate Amanda Bakely finished about five seconds later ahead of the rest of the pack.

The Rockets performed well in field events also. Second-year athlete Atalia da Silva won the high jump with a height of 1.59 meters.

First-year athlete Karoline Steppin won the long jump as well with a distance of 5.47 meters. Steppin also finished second in the triple jump at 11.81 meters. Rowe finished third in the event at 11.31 meters.

Steppin completed her big day by winning the javelin throw with a distance of 39.09 meters. Third-year athlete Anna Bellman finished right behind her in second with a throw of 37.09.

The midnight blue and gold return to the track April 13 as the team travel to Muncie, Indiana, to take part in the Ball State Challenge.