The Golden Pride of Africa

April 18, 2018

The African People’s Association hosted African Night April 14th in the Student Union.

The theme was “Our Pride is Gold,” and people of different African cultures performed in music performances, a dance showcase and a fashion show.

“Learning about new cultures helps you see the world in a completely different way,” said Jaye Olaniran, vice president of the African People’s Association and nursing major at the University of Toledo.

The association hosts events throughout the year to educate students about African cultures. With approximately 300 people in attendance Saturday, African Night was its biggest event since 2007.

“I have been involved in the African People’s Association since my freshman year here at the University of Toledo. Ever since then, I will always make sure to be a part of every big event going on by volunteering to help them with each event,” Olaniran said.

The organization holds general meetings every Monday at 7 p.m. in the Student Union. Its goal is to unite African students and develop culture for non-African students.

“Africa means everything to me. I was born in Lagos, Nigeria and was partially raised there, so everything I do now traces back to my roots. I feel like everyone should be proud of their heritage and try to hold on to them as much as possible no matter where they are in the world,” Olaniran said.