Toledo MAC series cut short

April 17, 2018

The Rockets started their week with what proved to be a tough double-header against Mid-American Conference Rivals Eastern Michigan University.

Eastern Michigan, who came into the double-header against the Rockets with a less than desirable record of 6-28, pulled off the upset in the first game. It took an offensive flurry for that upset to take place, as Eastern Michigan put up 10 runs on the Rockets.

The Eagles would lead by as much as 10-3, before the Rockets would make an incredible run. The Rockets scored six runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, but left the game tying run at the plate as the final out was recorded, giving the game to the Eagles.

In the second game of the double-header, the Rockets would capitalize on an explosive offensive outing, and down the Eagles. The big hitters for the Rockets were first-year Bailey Curry, third-year Megan Choate, and fourth-year Ashley Rausch. Curry and Choate each had a home run, and Rausch went 4-5. The trio combined for six RBIs.

As the weekend approached, a familiar MAC foe challenged the Rockets. Northern Illinois traveled to Toledo for what was scheduled to be a three-game series over two days; however, the third game of the series was canceled. The Rockets and Huskies settled for two games, a double-header on Friday, April 13th.

Third-year Kailey Minarchick, the Rockets leader for wins for pitchers, was the star for Toledo in the double-header. Minarchick pitched both games and received both wins for the Rockets, who won 5-3 and 3-0. These wins gave Minarchick 15 wins on the season.

In the first game, multiple Rockets recorded hits, but the standout was Kylie Norwood, who notched an RBI for the Rockets. Northern Illinois climbed out to an earl 2-0 lead, but the Rockets would rally for the win.

The last game of the week for the Rockets was utter dominance from Minarchick. The Huskies would not record a run, and Minarchick would strike three batters out. Curry aided the offense with a RBI, but offensively the Rockets struggled in the 3-0 win.

With only a few games left in the season, the Rockets sit at 28-14, 12-2 in the MAC. They are in first place in the MAC west division and have shown poise and determination all season to be the MAC champions. For now, though, their journey continues to Kalamazoo, Michigan, where they will have a series against Western Michigan.