Editorial: Don't stress

April 25, 2018

As the spring semester winds to a close, students across campus are preparing, studying and, perhaps, panicking in anticipation of finals. But, just because deadlines continue to approach with increasing rapidity, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to finish the semester strong. Here are some of the Independent Collegian’s best tips and techniques to survive and thrive during finals.

1.) Start early: It’s always a smart idea to start preparing early, no matter if your final isn’t until next Friday. If you wait until 2 a.m. on the day of to start studying when the exam starts at 8 a.m., chances are that you aren’t going to do very well. Not only will it be difficult to retain information in a compressed time period, but you’ll also be trying to function on little to no sleep; no matter how many cups of coffee you chug, it’s no replacement for a good night’s rest.

2.) Take care of your body: While it can be tempting to reach for carbs and sugar as your stress level rises, Cheetos and ice cream won’t be the long-term fuel that you need. Budget your time so that you can actually sit down at a table and have a meal instead of subsisting on junk food for the next two weeks, even if you’ve been doing it all semester and haven’t collapsed yet. Use study breaks to eat healthy snacks, including fruits and veggies, and drink water to sustain energy. If you’re feeling particularly motivated, get outside and go walking, biking or set up a hammock between a couple of trees. Toledo may be welcoming spring a month late, but make the most out the nice weather before it disappears again. 

3.) Use campus resources: You probably pay a lot of money to attend this university, so you might as well get the most bang for your buck. Many resources exist on campus that not all students are aware of or don’t use to their advantage. Two examples are the Writing Center and the Learning Enhancement Center, both located in the basement of Carlson Library. Students can visit the Writing Center by appointment or during walk-in hours, Monday through Friday from noon to 3 p.m. The LEC does not require appointments, but be sure to check the schedule online to know when tutoring takes place for specific subjects.

4.) Be aware of end-of-semester events: Many organizations around campus host events to try to help students combat finals stress. For example, swing by the UT Rec Center tomorrow, April 26, from 8 to 10 p.m., and participate in activities such as yoga, Zumba and adult mural coloring to take your mind off of essays, projects and exams (just for a little while!). Keep tabs on UT social media for any other de-stress events that you can attend.

Finals week always brings stress, but do your best to stay focused and not let a hefty to-do list intimidate you. If you’ve got the drive and determination to succeed, you’ll do just fine. Good luck, Rockets!