Ayoub: How childhood has changed

April 25, 2018

Twenty-five years. It’s been 25 years since a group of young baseball players took the field. Af

ter all, that’s what summers were for in those days. To spend every waking moment with your friends, perfecting batting skills. Because let’s be honest – no one wants to be accused of playing ball like a girl.

You STILL don’t know what iconic 90s movie I’m referring to…you’re killin’ me, Smalls!

“The Sandlot” is a classic: a movie loaded up with hysterical catch-phrases and a plot so simple and pure, that it’s physically impossible to not fall in love with it. The boys’ adventures were inspirational, making any person watching want to spend his/her summers in the same way.

Plus, what girl can deny they had a crush extremely good-looking Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez?

I think we should all take a moment, step back and compare the children of those days (or even our times) to the children of today. As any other child, summers were definitely something to look forward to – no projects, no tests and beautiful weather.

Most notably, it was the best time to play with the other neighborhood children. Growing up in the early 2000s, the houses surrounding mine were all families that had kids our age.

As eager children, my siblings and I became friends with the others pretty fast, and the rest was history. Playing hide-and-go-seek, bouncing on the trampoline and even putting together our own baseball team has always been something I’ve remembered fondly.

Looking at kids of today, on the other hand…that’s a different story.

I honestly feel bad for children growing up in today’s society – I really do. Because they will never have any idea what it’s like to truly be a child, to have the imagination that most of us had growing up.

They’ll never feel the anxiety of calling their friends on the landline, and to be answered by their parents and have them inform you that they’re eating dinner. Worst of all though, they will never experience the thrill of making their own sandlot.

I’m using “The Sandlot” as a symbol here. With the extreme advancement of technology, children don’t even get a chance to, well, be a child! They don’t have as nearly as much fun as we used to, or may not be nearly as social due to their relationship with their phones.

It’s just sad.

If a movie like “The Sandlot” came out today, it would be filled with 10-year-olds who look like they’re 25 and who would be glued to their cell phones, Snapchatting and Instagramming every moment of the summer.

What happened to the innocence of being a kid that “The Sandlot” so beautifully exemplified? I will forever be thankful that my childhood was at a time before computers were rampant, and if you wanted to call someone when you were out of the house, you had to use a pay phone.

No matter how old you are, “The Sandlot” will undeniably put a smile on your face. I can definitely vouch for that.

In fact, I still have the VHS tape at my house, and watch it at least once every summer – it’s a necessity to celebrate the end of the school year.

“The Sandlot” and all its characters will forever be thought of as a legend. And as the Great Bambino once said, “Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.”