Rockets take Eastern Michigan series in three

April 24, 2018

UT’s baseball team (14-22, 8-7 MAC) battled Spring Arbor Cougars (22-20, 12-8 WHAC) and the Eastern Michigan Eagles (14-22, 8-7 MAC) at Scott Park last week. 
Spring Arbor
SA took a 2-0 lead in the third inning. 
The Rockets responded with a run, trailing 2-1, later in the inning. Dalton Bollinger, fourth-year infielder, ripped an RBI-double down the left field line. 
Another a pair of runs scored in the fourth for the Cougars, extending their lead, 4-1. 
UT tacked on another run in the same inning, 4-2. Michael Ryan, second-year catcher, line drived an RBI-double to left field.
The Cougars added another run, 5-2, in the fifth inning. 
Toledo’s bats came alive in the seventh as a quartet of runs scored to take a 6-5 lead. Trace Hatfield, first-year infielder, doubled up the center to score two runs as bases were loaded. Ryan singled, scoring another run. Casey Gose, fourth-year infielder, perfected a bunt squeeze to bring in another run. 
SA added a trio of runs in the eighth, 8-6, to retake the lead and defeat the Rockets. The Cougars collected three hits and two errors while UT collected nine hits and two errors.   
EMU-Game 1
The Eagles got on the scoreboard with a run in the second inning to take a 1-0 lead. 
UT tied the game in the third, 1-1. Brad Boss, fourth-year fielder, creamed a home run ball over the right field wall. Boss has six home runs this season. 
During the sixth inning, EMU tacked on another run to retake the lead, 2-1. 
Toledo responded in the seventh with another run to tie the game again, 2-2. Hatfield hit his first collegiate home run over the left field wall. 
UT’s pitching held the Eagles scoreless for the remainder of the game, holding them to six hits. 
The ninth inning came, and the Rockets rallied to defeat EMU in the series opener with a walk-off, 3-2. Chris Meyers, first-year infielder, scored the winning run as a throwing error was made to first base on the sac-bunt from Ryan. The Rockets collected seven hits. 
Nate Haugh, third-year right-handed pitcher, (1-3) was given the win.  
Game 2
Eastern scored a trio of runs in the first inning and an additional pair in the sixth, taking a 5-0 lead. The Eagles pitching held Toledo scoreless for the first five innings.  
UT came alive in the sixth, scoring a pair of runs to trail 5-2. Corey Tipton, fifth-year catcher, crushed a two-run triple off the left field wall. 
Another run came in the eighth inning for the Rockets, trailing 5-3. Zach Schwartzenberger, first-year outfielder, pinched hit and collected an RBI-single, allowing AJ Montoya, fourth-year outfielder/catcher, to score. 
EMU tacked on an insurance run, 6-3, in the ninth to take game two from Toledo. The Eagles collected eight hits to the Rockets’ 12. 
Game 3
The Eagles jumped out early to take a 1-0 lead in the first inning.     
Toledo matched the run later in the inning to tie, 1-1. Montoya hit a RBI-single to left field, bringing home third-year outfielder, Ross Adolph.  
Eastern regained the lead in the third and tacked on a pair of runs in the fourth inning, leading 4-1.
UT matched the two runs in the fourth, trailing 4-3. Hatfield’s sac-fly and Bollinger’s single brought the runs in. 
EMU tallied another run in the sixth inning, 5-3, and the Rocket pitching would not allow them to score for the remainder of the game. The Eagles collected eight hits and two errors. 
Like the series opener, the Rocket offense came alive late in the game. Four runs scored in the seventh and two more in the eighth, taking a 9-5 victory on 12 hits. 
Bollinger hit his first home run of the year in the seventh, Ryan reached base on a sac-bunt to score Montoya, Meyers scored on a wild pitch and Boss’ sac-fly scored Ryan. 
Meyers’ double scored Adolph in the eighth and Ryan’s double scored Meyers.     
The midnight blue and gold continue the season at Michigan State, today, April 25, at 3 p.m., before hosting the Kent State Golden Flashes this weekend. First pitches against the Golden Flashes are 3 p.m. on Friday, April 27, and 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, April 28 and 29.