Women's track competes at Jesse Owens Classic

April 24, 2018

Over the weekend, UT’s women’s track team competed in the Jesse Owens Classic in Columbus, Ohio.

On day one, fourth-year Janelle Noe won the 1500m with a time of 4:22.85, joining the five other Rockets who finished top-10 in their events 

"Today was a solid start to the weekend," said head coach Linh Nguyen. "We got two MAC qualifiers that we needed in the 5K, and the throws went well. Janelle Noe had another good run, winning a championship-style race that will be good practice for the MAC championships."

Noe's time of 4:22.85 granted her a Mid-American Conference qualifying time. Toledo's other top-five finisher was first-year Riley Kwiatkowski who took third in the 5K and set a personal-best with a 17:29.10 finish. Additionally, the 5K showcase featured fourth-year Joan Jepkirui (sixth, 16:37.66) and second-year Athena Welsh (eighth, 16:50.13), both of whom could reach the conference championship qualifying mark as well.

On day two, fourth-year Stephanie Barlow won the 3000m steeplechase with a time of 10:26.53. There were three other Rockets who set personal bests, along with 11 who earned Mid-American Conference qualifying times, two who finished first and nine top-five placers over two days of action.

"We had a solid second day of competition," said Nguyen. "Karoline Steppin, Janell, Janell Rowe and Atalia da Silva had great meets, and it was great to see Janelle Noe set a big personal record in the 800m after winning the 1500m last night.”

Noe set a personal record of 2:10.45 in the 800m, earning her eighth place. Rowe also set a personal best. The first-year went 11.71m in the triple jump, earning fifth and beating her previous best by .04m.

The Rockets will return to action Thursday when the team competes in the Ashland Invitational.