Editorial: IC under construction

August 29, 2018

OK, we get it: Newspapers are going out of style.

In the Digital Age, consumers consistently reach for their smartphones or laptops to gain access to the latest news, and the Independent Collegian has certainly felt the effects of that shift.

Steady declines in print advertising culminated in the IC making a tough decision and transitioning to biweekly printing this fall.

Although the “paper” part of our moniker is taking a hit, we still feel optimistic about the future of the Independent Collegian. If the IC dies, so too do the stories that warrant publication. Lucky for us, news will never go out of style. 

We do not take lightly the opportunity to be an influential voice on the University of Toledo’s campus. So much of the news today hones in on national stories, and, while those obviously demand to be publicized, we can’t forget about news at the local level.

Local news affects our day-to-day lives to a much greater degree than most national reports, yet many readers eschew local newspapers in favor of national publications, according to an article in the Atlantic titled, “The Print Apocalypse and How to Survive It."

Essentially its own community, UT deserves a publication dedicated to covering its many goings-on. Our perpetually busy students, professors, faculty and administrators do not have the means to do their own reporting on campus and keep up with every story.

We’re happy to help out.

The IC, a publication made up of dedicated students, represents one UT resource whose mission centers on distributing news, events and truth.

In our role on campus, not only do we have a duty to inform, but to also uphold a level of accountability for those around us.

A more informed campus culture can only be beneficial, so we hope that the UT community will remain with us as we attempt to build a stronger online presence.

This change is bittersweet.

The IC’s print newspaper has entrenched itself at the University of Toledo for the past century.

Every headline since its inception has been plastered on news racks across campus, eagerly awaiting the attention of the UT community.

News distribution will be different this year, but different doesn’t mean worse. In fact, we’re banking on several improvements.

We’ll be able to break news faster, spread stories more efficiently and to a wider audience, and reach students on platforms they already connect with.

As ready as we are to approach this new chapter at the IC, we desperately need the support of our readers to make it a success.

Help us out by frequenting our website (independentcollegian.com), liking us on Facebook, following us on Twitter (@icollegian), checking us out on Instagram and watching our stories on Snapchat.

It’s going to be another busy year in the Independent Collegian office, and our staff can’t wait to get started.

As always, we promise to deliver campus news, even if we won’t be delivering as many papers.