UT introduces electric scooters to campus

The University of Toledo started its electric scooter-sharing program with Lime before the fall semester, making it one of only 19 other campuses in the nation to have Lime Scooters, according to the company’s website.

The battery-powered scooters are in different locations throughout UT’s Main Campus to provide students, faculty and staff a eco-friendlier option to travel around campus.

With its 250-watt motors, users can push the device to a top-speed of up to 14.8 MPH. Right now, the university is starting with 125 scooters, but Lime will provide more scooters should there be a greater demand. Users must be 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license to register for the program. 

The scooters are accessible through the free Lime app where they may be unlocked to use and locked upon reaching a destination.  There is a one-dollar charge to unlock the scooter, and costs 15 cents per minute.

The app provides real-time locations of the scooters, making it simple for users to locate one. Every evening, the scooters are collected and charged by Lime staff, ready for the next day’s use.

Second-year student Ammar Adil said he’s excited to try out the scooters.

“It’s a cool program,” he said. “I’m sure I’ll be using them to get around pretty often.”

“Sometimes, I have a class ending at Rocket Hall and need to be at Driscoll in 10 minutes, a scooter ride would be much easier than sprinting,” said fourth-year Veda Gokula.

The scooters are available seven days a week during daylight hours and can only be used on campus.

The battery is also splash-proof, allowing for use during rain and snow.

The program will cost the university nothing, according to UT Parking and Transportation services. Lime employs staff to maintain and charge the scooters.

The program is part of the university’s progression to make transportation easier. In April, UT authorized the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority (TARTA) to take over management of the university’s shuttle service, allowing students and faculty to ride TARTA free of charge with their Rocket Card.