Upcoming events to look forward to in Toledo

August 29, 2018

The beginning of fall semester doesn’t have to signal an end to all the fun. Events happening around campus and the Toledo area give UT students opportunities for plenty of it.
 The Toledo Museum of Art invites visitors all throughout September to learn how to make their own glass apple sculptures at the Glass Pavilion for a one-hour workshop that costs $40.
  The museum also has concerts, film screenings and special exhibitions with details available on their website: toledomuseum.org.  
 The Fusion Festival features French DJ David Guetta at 10:30 p.m. Sept. 2 at Promenade Park.
 The fifth annual Adams Street Block Party is 4 p.m. – 1 a.m., also on Sept. 2. Wristbands are $5, which allows guests entry into participating bars for individuals who are at least 21 years of age. Street festivities are free for all ages.
 The 48th annual Greek American Festival is Sept. 7- 9 at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
 The Arts Commission and the Toledo Symphony Orchestra will host Momentum Sept. 13 - 15 in Promenade Park. The three-day festival of music and art is sponsored by The Arts Commission and the Toledo Philanthropic Society.
 The Mini Maker Faire is Sept. 15 at Imagination Station. This event, sponsored by the Arts Commission in partnership with the Imagination Station, is a gathering of tech enthusiasts, educators, engineers, artists and students.

Guests can pick their own apples at Macqueen Orchards starting Sept. 16 all the way through the third week of October. Macqueen Orchards grows 16 varieties of apples. Their farm market also offers fresh pressed apple cider and homemade pies.

The Art Loop will host their annual, “Dancin’ in the Streets,” on Sept. 20. The popular event features an array of contemporary, ethnic, traditional and interactive dance performances throughout downtown.

There are also activities to attend on campus. The UT campus chapter of the International Justice Mission will host a water balloon fight 7 p.m. Sept. 5 in the flatlands. Enjoy some free snacks and drinks afterward.

Alpha Psi Omega is hosting its annual 24-Hour Play Festival 7:30 p.m. Sept. 8 in the Center Theater of the Center of Performing Arts. The festival is a collaborative event in which participants are put into teams and given props and a genre to create their own short play.

A list of Toledo events wouldn’t be complete without mentioning the kickoff of UT’s football season. See the Rockets take on the Virginia Military Institute Keydets 7 p.m. Sept. 1 in the Glass Bowl Stadium.

The Rockets host the Miami Hurricanes in their second home game at 12 p.m. on Sept. 15.

Whether one wants to bring out their inner artist, pick apples, stage their own play or kick back with their friends and watch a game, Toledo offers something for everyone to ring in the school year right.