When the going gets tough

August 29, 2018

As the new school year begins and the pressure rises, it’s important to not only monitor physical health, but mental health as well. Stress increases while teachers cram students’ schedules with homework, quizzes, projects and exams. 
 Stress is debilitating, produces illness and interferes with daily activities. The year is difficult to keep up with as students try to shrug off the laziness of summer vacation.
 It can cause students to suffer from exhaustion, depression, anxiety and poor eating habits.
 It’s been brought to the attention of the Collegian staff that mental health services at UT are often unknown of.
 With National Suicide Prevention Week beginning in the United States on Sept. 9, we want to make known the services that UT offers to students who suffer from problems with their mental health.
 Free services are available at UT’s counseling center for UT students currently enrolled.
 According to the university’s website, students are first screened by UT counselors, so they can decide what types of services are most helpful for them.
 After the counseling services are determined, students are expected to contact the Counseling Center regarding their next steps.
 The counselors might suggest on–going counseling, refer students to different groups on campus or refer them to outside services.
 Services offered by UT’s counseling center include individual counseling, couples counseling, group counseling, outreach programs to assist in the development of UT students, consultation, assessment inventories, professional training and a psychiatrist that is available on the Health Science Campus. 
 Apart from information on counseling services, UT staff is sure to include disability and sexual harassment clauses in their syllabi, so students know who to contact for their services. 
 For more information on Title IX and Compliance, please visit Snyder Memorial 1120, or call 419.530.4191.
 Students who feel they need academic accommodations for their classes can visit the Disability Office in Rocket Hall 1820, or call 419.530.4981.
  The staff at the Independent Collegian want to welcome all UT students back to campus this year! Don’t hesitate to ask questions and get the help you need. You don’t have to do this alone.