Associate Vice President of Facilities and Construction previews infrastructure plans

The University of Toledo is in the planning stages for projects slated to begin in the late spring and extend into summer.

UT Facilities and Construction have a total of 13 projects, most of which have already entered planning stages. They will be funded by the State Biennium Capital.

The developments include general infrastructure upgrades throughout campus, as well as renovations to North Engineering, main campus classrooms and research laboratory improvements on both main campus and the Health Science Campus.

“The planned projects are an investment into the physical plant of the university which supports our academic mission,” wrote Jason Toth, associate vice president for Facilities and Construction in an email interview with the Independent Collegian.

Most of the projects will not begin until March, with many starting after the completion of finals week in May 2019.

“Several of the projects are targeted for completion by the start of classes in August while some will extend into the following academic year,” Toth wrote.

One project nearing completion is the construction of a new Starbucks on the second floor of Carlson Library, scheduled for completion this October.

“Some of these projects will be very visible like the classroom renovations, new Savage Pedestrian Bridge and North Engineering classroom renovations while others may not be noticed but will provide much needed systems improvements,” Toth wrote.

These system improvements include electrical system enhancements, mechanical system improvements and building automation upgrades.  

Toth also talked about how projects are scheduled mostly during summers, in order to reduce the amount of disturbances for students during the school year. As such, students shouldn’t expect to see too many orange cones this school year.

The department recently completed the new Savage Pedestrian Bridge, located near Carlson Library.