Rockets shut out IUPUI

On Sunday, The University of Toledo women's soccer team (3-1-1) won 2-0 in their first home match of the season

against IUPUI. The win bumps the Rockets’ record to 3-1-1.

UT goal scorers were senior Natalie Knauf and sophomore Alex Troy. Both goals were scored in the first half.

"I thought they played outstanding," head coach TJ Buchholz said. "The conditions were hot and we told them they had to keep their energy levels up for 90 minutes. We did that really well and got a lot of people into the game to secure the win. I'm proud of our overall effort, and especially the defense for getting the shutout. I thought IUPUI was a really strong attacking team and our girls did a really good job today."

Both sides were scoreless through the first ten minutes as both defenses stood tall.

UT struck first in the 14th minute off of a penalty kick from Knauf. The midfielder fired it past IUPUI's goalkeeper to give the Rockets the lead at 1-0.

UT almost had a scare  in the 20th minute when IUPUI was awarded a penalty kick. senior goalkeeper Katie Wilson made the save to preserve the lead.

Toledo’s insurance goal came in the 36th minute from Troy. The midfielder received a pass from Lewis and was able get by past the keeper for an empty net.

The Rocket defense remained strong, allowing no Jaguar goals in the second half.

Early on in the second half, Knauf shot two corners but neither was able to be capitalized on. Toledo kept the offense humming as they were able to fire off seven more shots before time expired.

The Rockets will next host Detroit-Mercy at 4 p.m. on Sept. 6 at Scott Park