Four plays in twenty-hour hours

Theater participants collaborated in the Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday to create short plays to present at UT’s 24-Hour Play Festival.

The annual festival was presented by Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theatre Honor Society.

Students in the Department of Theatre and Film are invited and encouraged to join the UT chapter of Alpha Psi Omega.

Members develop relationships with other students through several fun and collaborative projects, like the Annual Play Festival.

These events also provide funding to the department for competitions and educational experiences.

Each team at the festival was given a random prop and assigned a line of dialogue required to be in their production, which was either a horror play, superhero play, sci-fi or a musical.

Each team member had the opportunity to play director, actor, playwright or technical director.

The teams designed their plays in the 24 hours proceeding their 7:30 p.m. performances.

Justin Petty, pledge educator for Alpha Psi Omega, said that collaboration was the purpose of the event.

“We get people, theater makers, non-theater makers, to come together to make a collaborative piece, something they can call their own whether it’s a 15-minute play or an abstract piece they’ve been wanting to work on,” Petty said.

The teams were given free reign of the CPA and provided with food for the night. The productions were ready at 10 a.m. to begin choreographing lighting effects for the plays.

A bond had been formed between the participants over the previous 24 hours. Logan Fleming, vice president of Alpha Psi Omega, UT chapter, explained how vital an experience it was to bring theater practitioners together.

“It gives you a really good opportunity to meet people and really get out of your comfort zone, to just make art, whatever you think you might be talented at, it gives you that opportunity,” Fleming said.

Fleming also said his preparation for the festival inspired hope for a successful semester for the theater department. He explained how impressed he was by this year’s incoming students.

“This class that came in this year seems to be really dedicated and motivated, the energy just feels really good this year,” Fleming said.