UT and TARTA team up to connect students downtown

Beginning in fall of 2018, the University of Toledo will launch Downtown Connect, a brand new late-night bus service with Toledo Area Regional Transport Authority (TARTA). The line will connect UT students, faculty and staff from main campus through downtown Toledo. 

At 11 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and 8 p.m. on Saturday, the bus will leave from Gateway Plaza, with the final downtown pickup at 2:35 a.m. 

The Gateway stop is located on the north end of the plaza near Barnes & Noble closest to Rocket Hall. 
The route stops at multiple locations in downtown Toledo. These stops include Promenade Park, the Warehouse District and the Uptown District. The path takes riders to all the different attractions in Toledo including Huntington Center, the Promenade Docks and Fifth-Third Field, home of the Mud Hens. 

The service allows students to visit the downtown Toledo area to explore and enjoy its many amenities. This includes a multitude of bars, restaurants, concerts and sporting events. 

Third-year student Jibril Barayseh is excited for the program.

“It’s a pretty cool program,” said Barayseh. “Honestly, downtown Toledo is pretty underrated; there’s a lot of cool things to do there. I’ll be sure to use the bus.”

The increased amount of UT students this route will take downtown will be good for businesses as well, said Kim McKnight, manager of Ye Olde Durty Bird.

“The more people you bring downtown, the better,” said McKnight. “We always promote responsible drinking, so if there’s a safe way to get here and back, that’s always a good thing.”

The bus will take students back to apartment complexes near UT, including Edge 1120, Old Towne University Square, the Lofts at Gateway, Honors Academic Village and University Hills. The route will make its final stop back at the Gateway stop. 

Downtown Connect was made possible by the support and efforts of TARTA, Honors Academic Village, Old Towne University Square, the Lofts at Gateway, Huntington, Barnes & Noble, Vivo and Aramark. 

The full bus schedule and code of conduct can be found on UT’s parking website.