Ayoub: Ideal living in a fantasy world

I never really cared for fantasy. Honestly, I never thought it was my cup of tea. It felt too unrealistic for my taste, and I enjoy being able to relate to characters.

But, because I was bored, and my sister was begging me to, I decided to give “The Vampire Diaries” a chance.

I was not disappointed.

After “Twilight,” vampires and werewolves were sort of a turn-off for me. I have never been one to embrace mainstream fandoms. Though this newfound obsession of mine is several years overdue, it’s better late than never.

This show is not just amazing for its intricate plot. No, when I get obsessed with something, I fawn over every aspect of the characters, setting, relationships, tension, fashion…I cover all the bases.

First and foremost, I wish I grew up in Mystic Falls, the town where “The Vampire Diaries” takes place. I never knew how beautiful being raised in a small town could be. Everyone knows each other, and the whole town is basically your friend.

Their town events are inspirational. I wish I grew up in a city that prides itself on its festivities and where the whole town comes together for each other’s amusement. This sort of town spirit reminds me of how neighborhoods used to be decades ago, when it was normal to knock on someone’s door and ask for a pack of flour.

The friendliness, trust and sense of community in the town is to be admired. Even the high school makes me question whether I truly lived the high school experience. I have never seen a school with so much spirit either.

Honestly, maybe I just went to the wrong high school and every other high school in the country was as cool as Mystic Falls.

The town’s celebrations were extremely inspirational. From Decade Dances to the Night of Illumination to Founder’s Day and even the Mystic Falls Beauty Pageant – why can’t this happen in real life?

I like to think that there are still some small towns out there that value their citizens and events, and that all come together Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood-style as one big happy family.

I think what really draws me into the town is how old-fashioned it is. And if you know me, you know that I love the oldies and wish I grew up in a time when drive-ins and sock hops were all the rage.

To top it all off, the town is swimming with gentlemen. I have yet to find a man who is as polite and honorable as characters like Stefan Salvatore and Matt Donovan.

This show really does give you a false expectation of high school guys. Most college guys aren’t even that mature. I guess that’s what makes the show so desirable…and categorized as fantasy.

Samar Ayoub is a fourth-year biology major.