Soccer splits against Ball State and Miami

Over the weekend, the University of Toledo women’s soccer team opened up the Mid-American Conference play with a 2-0 loss to Ball State on Friday and a 2-1 victory over Miami (OH) on Sunday. The results put UT at 5-4-1 overall and 1-1 in MAC play.
 Against Ball State, the Rocket offense attacked early as second-year Alex Troy fired two shots on goal in the opening six minutes.  
Ball State got on the board first in the tenth minute when fourth-year Lauren Roll scored on a header off a Cardinal corner to give them the lead at 1-0.
 BSU kept on the offensive for the rest of the half, shooting another eight chances at frame before intermission.
Ball State came back from the break unchanged, putting four shots on frame in the first five minutes. Troy and second-year Sophia Lewis kept giving UT chances by each putting a shot on frame but neither was able to convert.
 The Rockets kept fighting but were unable to crack the scoreboard
“Credit to Ball State on the day,” head coach TJ Buchholz said. “They did a great job of executing on their dead ball situations. I thought we had some good offensive moments in the game, but couldn’t get one in the back of the net. We will learn from this loss and try and regroup against a good Miami team on Sunday.”
Against Miami, the Rocket offense capitalized off of goals from first-year Elbony Rodriguez and fourth-year captain Hannah Scafaria.
 Rodriguez netted her first goal of the season and Scafaria tied her career-high in goals with her eight of the campaign.
 “I’m proud of our team today,” Buchholz said. “It’s never easy to beat a team in-conference on the road. Miami was a tough opponent and battled us hard all game. We weathered their pressure well and closed out the game with a win.”
 Toledo set the tone early by having a corner in the third minute and getting a shot on net two minutes later.  
UT’s first goal came in the 34th minute. A cross was sent into the 18-yard box and bounced in front of the net. Rodriguez took advantage of the cross to put Toledo up 1-0.
 Miami threatened a minute later with a shot from third-year Olivia Winnett, but second-year goalkeeper Madison Perrin came up big and made the save.
 The Rockets struck early in the second half as they scored in the 51st minute off of Scafaria’s goal. The captain ran down a rebound that was sent in from first-year Ashton Cassel to increase the lead to two.
 The defense held strong for most of the half as Miami was only able to get off two shots before their goal.
The RedHawks scored in the 73rd minute when first-year Lyda Bogdanovitch received a cross from first-year Kristina DeMarco and knocked it into the left side of the net to cut the lead in half.
 Both offenses kept the pressure but neither was able to score before the end of the match.
 The Rockets will return to the Glass City on Friday, Sept. 28 when the Rockets host Western Michigan at Scott Park. Game time is set for 4 p.m.