Football struggles against Fresno State

The University of Toledo football team had a less than stellar performance against Fresno State as the Bulldogs defeated the Rockets 49-27 at Bulldog Stadium on Saturday.

“Any time you lose a football game, there are not really any moral victories,” head coach Jason Candle said. “That’s why it’s the greatest game there is, because there are a lot of things it teaches you. There are some brutal truths on that video that we have to clean up and get fixed.”

Third-year quarterback Mitchell Guadagni was limited to one half of action as he only threw from 59 yards, ran for 55 yards and had one touchdown. This was the result of an injury that occured late in the second quarter.

Guadagni’s replacement, second-year Eli Peters completed 10 of 21 passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns.

The offenses were in full effect as Fresno State gained 554 yards of total offense, while Toledo had 375 total yards.

Fresno State struck first blood, driving 75 yards on 12 plays, ending with a four-yard run by second-year running back Jordan Mims. The Rockets countered with their own 75-yard drive off of a 19-yard screen pass from Guadagni to Shakif Seymour to tie the score at 7.

UT took a 10-7 lead early in the second quarter on a 46-yard field goal by third-year kicker Jameson Vest. Guadagni ignited the TD drive by running for 36 yards on third-and-six.

A 15-yard personal foul on Fresno State was called after which put the ball at the 30-yard line.

Shortly after, fourth-year defensive end Reggie Howard pressured the quarterback, hitting his arm which resulted in an interception by first-year defensive end Jamal Hines who ran it back to the FSU 38-yard line. UT settled for a 43-yard field goal to increase the score at 13-7 with 10:22 left in the first half.

The Bulldogs answered when third-year quarterback Marcus McMaryion threw a seven-yard TD pass to fourth-year receiver Keesean Johnson to take a 14-13 lead. Fresno State would then extend the lead to 21-13 off of a two-yard boot play pass from McMaryion to fourth-year tight end Kyle Riddering.

FSU kept it rolling with another score from Mims, a 47-yard TD trot to give the Bulldogs a 28-13 lead.

Fresno State picked up where they left off in the second half with another TD from McMaryion to Johnson, this time from 12 yards out. Then, they scored again right after, on a 38-yard pick-six from third-year defensive end Mykal Walker to extend its lead to 42-13 with 10:22 left.  The Bulldogs continued the rout with another TD on a six-yard run by McMaryion.

Peters got the offense going with third-year Jon'Vea Johnson with two touchdowns of 54 and 25 yards to make the score a little closer.

“We lost the game and it’s tough, but we’ll bounce back,” Candle said. “We have a tough conference schedule that starts this week with our rival [Bowling Green] and our schedule doesn’t get any easier.”

The Rockets return home this weekend hosting Bowling Green in a Homecoming edition of the Battle of I-75 3:30 p.m. Oct. 6 at the Glass Bowl.